Joyce's RSM Reef

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost another fish Joyce!!!

I am going to guess... but remember it's only a guess, I hope you consider my best "guess" help, as I do want to encourage you & not discourage you...

Your tank is somewhere around 6 week old I think, but in the learning curve, you added lots of fish very early & then (for several reasons, lfs bad advise, not having right equipment, not have superior chemical filtration in place) combined with NO water changes for the 1st 6 weeks, makes me guess... two things as to why fish are dieing, one your tank is just now really becoming cycled & maturing some & two, there is a high chance your fish were damaged in the learning curve.

Having said the above (hard lesson learned) I really want to encourage you, I think you are on the road to having success now ! You are doing weekly water changes 10 gals 15%, you are running cpe now, you now have ro/di water & as sad as it is... every time a fish dies, you have less bio-load in a new tank.

Going slow is so right.... and really the key to sw success - I added my 1st fish at week 9 & then one more fish per month, adding fish like this gives the system a chance to adjust & the LR a chance to catch up with this fish/bio-load.

Hang in there, it will get better, you are doing so many thinks "right" now, don't be discouraged, I don't know, but it is my best guess, the fish you have lost, were hurt by the process so far, you are not the 1st one to have this learning curve - I see it all the time, some do get discouraged & give up, but you have a great support system here... you have me telling you the "hard truth", I think you want to learn & you have been listening & changing for the better & your tank is maturing as time goes on & having less fish at this time is really a blessing though it does not seem like it now - hang in there & work on your corals, don't add any more fish for a month & then one every month or two and they will live for you, if you keep up your weekly water changes.

All the best Joyce - you have really paid the price... you have a lot more knowledge than when you started & you are doing many things right now - it will turn around for you - the key is just go slow & you will have success !!!

Hope this helps & does not discourage you - sincerely - glenn

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good thoughts from Glenn, and I have to agree with him. Hang in there, and add a few corals, and enjoy that for a while before adding any more fish. And then add fish slowly - one or a pair, and wait a few weeks and test before adding another. As Glenn said you've learned a lot already! As the tank matures things will become more stable, and you'll get a routine established for water changes, testing, etc. It can be a frustrating hobby at times, but if we learn from it that's a good thing. :)

jweisman54

Thanks for the advice guys! all the water parameters good except for low Ca and Mg and I am supplementing that daily. I have to get an easier Ca test kit. The one from Red Sea is just too difficult to use and no one around here carries the API, so I will have to order it on line. As far as the tank cycling, I would think that it is cycled but still in a very immature stage. I upgraded my RO system to an RODI. I tried to use it for the first time yesterday and there were leaks galore and the flow rate is off. I called the SpectraPure company and they are sending out some replacement parts. I can still make water, but have to check all the connections constantly and my sink leaks as well and need to get a plumber in to fix that problem.

I am also switching salts to H2ocean which came yesterday. I am hoping to do a water change some time this weekend but right now do not have enough ro water to do so.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hope you get the leaks fixed soon! Good choice getting the DI resin cartridge too - it really does remove things that the filters & RO don't pull out. Sounds like you're on top of everything now so that's good! :)

jweisman54

I found out that the RODI system that I bought which I am returning is not for use with someone who has well water. My pump in my well was constantly running and could have possibly burnt out. I needed a different ro unit which has its own pump included. Something which I cannot afford to purchase.

Also, do any of you NOT run the skimmer? Someone who I bought frags from told me that he does not run a skimmer in his tank, ever!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have read a few post of members needing a Booster-pump, well water or low water pressure... don't know what one you have looked at, with the 10% discount for RS members about $120

Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Booster Pump System Power Station for Reefkeepers

Booster Pump System Power Station for Reefkeepers

City and well water pressure can range from 30 PSI to 55 PSI .... The ideal water pressure for an RO system is between 65 to 75 PSI and thus inceasing by increasing your psi up to this level the more efficient the RO system will be .... So Super Charge your reefkeeping system.... Drive the output quantity and water quality too new heights.... The power station can supply .5 gpm. at 70 psi to your Reefkeepeing reverse osmosis system.... Every feature you will ever need is included.... You can use the power station to drive (35-150) gallon per day systems.
You do not have to re-plumb your system. Simply connect the power station in the water supply line and connect your reefkeeper inlet to the power station.
Connections are quick connect. This is an "on-demand" system which shuts itself down once the desired psi water pressure has been achieved.
Here is what you get: Sediment filter stops small dirt particles that could ruin your pump.In-line check valve prevents higher pressure water from backing up into your plumbingThe .5 gpm @ 100PSI quiet running booster pump .(Please limit pressure to 75 psi.). The pumps maximum capacity of 100 PSI can be reduced downward by a simple adjustment to the needle valve which is included. Adjustable high pressure cut out switch. The Allen wrench to make this adjustment is included.Our exclusive flow control locking needle valve to balance your existing pressure with the boosted pump water pressure.
Low voltage transformerA water pressure gauge
You can be up and running in no time at all. We have connected and hooked up everything and supplied everything you need . This is a virtual plug & play system ...
The power station can easily pressure up a 75 gpd system to full operational operating pressure. Most RO systems can expect a 20-30 psi boost in water pressure . Do not use with systems larger than (150) gpd .

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Joyce. I know nothing about wells and well pumps - call me "well ignorant". I'm trying to understand the situation. It sounds like your well pump has to run the whole time that the RO/DI is running, which could be hours? I guess you're afraid that your well pump will burn out because of that. I'm trying to understand how an RO/DI pump would make the situation better? Is it because the RO/DI pump would make water faster, and less time for the well pump to be on? Or would the well pump not have to be on constantly with an RO/DI with it's own pump?

I'm not sure if a pump on the RO/DI would allow water to be made from a big container filled with well water, or if would still need to have some pressure from a water line.

I'm really clueless on wells and RO/DI pumps. You could maybe try a post in the equipment forum looking for help from well water users:

Equipment

jweisman54

It really doesn't matter, I am not putting a booster pump on regardless. I can't afford to have my well pump burnt out because the water has to be run so much for any RODI system to work. I sent my rodi system back to spectrapure. I don't know what I am going to do now. I really have no choice but to use tap water. I don't know how that will fare in the tank. I am now down to 3 fish. This morning I found my very expensive Flame Angel dead on the sand. I think this is a hobby that I cannot afford to maintain.

If anyone is interested in my system which I have now well over $3,000 into. Please send me a PM.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
1346.gif

jweisman54

So far, no takers on the system, so as of right now I will hang on to it. I am running straight tap (well) water in it. I had taken out my sponges but that made the tank absolutely filthy. The polishing filter pad clogs up so quickly which then does not allow the water to flow through at all. I am def. having some type of algae bloom/diatom bloom right now as well. The 3 fish in the tank seem to be ok for now also. The salinity is up having used the H2Ocean and ditching the Red Sea salt. The Ca and Mg were still down so adding that as well. All other parameters still good. Still don't have much control over the skimmer.

jweisman54

Well, another fish bit the dust yesterday. I now have 2 left. If they did not die from ich, I have no idea what it was from. The water is FINE.