Joyce's RSM Reef

Dweezil

Well keep in mind that I have the 130D and you have the 250. I have the Tunze 9002 but that would not be enough skimmer for your 250.
I also tried the ER nano skimmer but I had horrible microbubbles with that so went back to the Tunze. If I ever get another skimmer I am pretty sure it's going to be the Deltec MC500 which is rated for your size tank but it also has a $500.00 price tag. The Tunze has proven to be a better skimmer for me than the stock skimmer. Normally I would not worry too much about 80 to 81 deg tank temp for you but this is still Winter so it does concern me a bit what is going to happen in the Summer when it starts getting hot. You may want to consider a chiller for yours.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo 80 - 81 is fine, even 82-83 is ok... most of the oceans corals are in water temps at 84-85

79 for me is perfect... but I ran my 130D at 82-83 with no problems at all...

jweisman54

Carbon replacement

My chemi pure elite and purigen have arrived. I will be replacing my carbon packs with them. Do I use both of these together as I have to add 2 packs of the chemi pure.

Joyce

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Re: Carbon replacement

Yes - in a RSM 250, you want to use two 11.74 oz bags of cpe & the 100 ml purigen bag - in place of the stock carbon

jweisman54

Is there enough room in that spot where the original carbon was. Also, when should I ditch the black sponge in the left hand compartment and the one where the heater is?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

yes & yes... some run the black sponges in the RSM 250's ... many don't, I took mine out upon thier advise & been working well

jweisman54

I just received my chem pure elite and purigen and will replace the existing carbon packs with them tomorrow along with removing the 2 black sponges from the tank as well.

No more diatoms present at all. Hopefully, the water change with the RO water will help to clear up the small amount of green algae that is on the glass. It is also starting to form on the live rock also. I had to take the fine filter pad out because it clogged up so quickly.

jweisman54

The purigen that I got was a 250 ml bottle which I put into a nylon stocking and then put into tank. Is that going to be too much for my tank? Should I remove half of it?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I don't think too much hurts anything... but the recommended rate is 1 ml per gallon - if you are going to bag it yourself, you can save a few $$$ and run 60 ml or so... & change it out a little more frequently.

This is what I use to do, then I got to where I didn't want to mess with bagging it, being it's so cheap ($7 for a 100 ml bag) & last so long, I just started using the 100 ml bags.

jweisman54

I will take half of it out and save it for a later date.

Also, is there an easier Calcium test kit out there other than the one that came with RSM?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I use & like api (good value & works for me, easy to use), there are better ones... some other members can recommend.

jweisman54

So, I went home for lunch and checked on the tank and there was my firemouth dead on the bottom. Checked all parameters. All seems fine. What to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

jweisman54

Put the two bags of chem pure elite and purigen in where the carbon was. It seems to take up a whole lot less space and my tank actually looks less clear than it was. I also tested my ca again and it was low, I think the next water change will be with the H2 Ocean. The Red Sea salt doesn't seem to keep the Ca level up.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:waa: Sorry to hear about your firemouth !

Good news getting some cpe in there... when fish die, doing water changes & adding fresh carbon (cpe) is almost always right...

Last edited:

jweisman54

I am getting so frustrated with this tank and am now thinking I undertook this without doing enough research. Between having to make RODI water weekly and topping off my tank daily, I am wondering if all of this is worth the effort.

jweisman54

Another fatality...............pj cardinal dead. That makes 4 fish that have now died. I wish someone would please tell me why they are dying with all parameters ok.