Joyce D. Wilkerson

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Joyce D. Wilkerson - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer

Some of you may already know .... but I did not realize that Joyce Wilkerson died over a year ago :(

Joyce Wilkerson was a professional engineer and amateur aquarist who wrote prolifically on the subject of captive marine propagation for various magazines and journals and authored Clownfishes. She spoke regularly to aquarium societies around North America and personally succeeded in rearing nine species of clownfishe and the Peppermint Shrimp, Lysmata rathburnae.
Joyce worked with Bill Addison and C-Quest Hatchery for a number of years in promoting the benefits of captive breeding to marine hobbyists. She was director of operations for The Breeder's Registry and was on the board of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA). She lived for many years with her family in Chester, Virginia, where she bred and raised clownfishes and cleaner shrimp.

Joyce Wilkerson died in 2007 in Raleigh, NC.

Joyce Dawn Wilkerson, 56, died Tuesday, May 8, 2007, at Rex Healthcare Center.
Born in Person County, Ms. Wilkerson was the daughter of the late Joseph Felton Wilkerson and Hazel Gentry Wilkerson, who survives, of Roxboro and wife of the late William J. Sarnecky.
Ms. Wilkerson was a professional engineer (PE) with J. F. Wilkerson Contracting Comp. Inc. in Morrisville. She graduated from NCSU and William & Mary.
In addition to her mother, Ms. Wilkerson is survived by three brothers, Joe Wilkerson of Raleigh, Douglas Wilkerson of Summerville, SC and Donald Wilkerson of Raleigh; two sisters, Joan Wilkerson of Columbia, MO and Doris W. Carver of Roxboro; nine nieces and nephews, Jay Wilkerson, Laura Clark, Brian Wilkerson, Michele Boussaad, Brady Wilkerson, Misty Jones, Mandy Wilkerson, Barbie Carver and Ross Carver.

Triggerjay

I just read that a couple days ago.... Sad... She was a pioneer in the marine fish breeding world. Her book Clownfishes has been called the breeder bible.

Jason

Amphibious

In this day and age of terrible diseases, how blessed and lucky are we who live on to a ripe old age. At age 56 Joyce Wilkerson was far too young to leave this earth. Rest in Peace, Joyce, you are surely missed!

Dick

carverd

Hi,

I am Joyce's sister, Doris. Thank you for posting Joyce's death on your webpage. Joyce was always very happy whenever she talked about all of her "fish" friends. Thank you for remembering her with this update to all of her friends. We miss her very much.

Sincerely,
Doris

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hello Doris.
Joyce has and continues to help so many marine enthusiasts with her writings. Even now she is a huge inspiration to my current clownfish hatching project. Thank you Joyce!
My continued condolences to you and your family.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
I am at a loss for words. I had actually set a personal goal to meet joyce one day and pick her brain over a cup of tea or something. The man upstairs gave her a bigger duty. She is raising clownfish in heaven now. Who knows she probably taught the man upsatirs to culture rotifers and phytoplankton :)

You will be missed Joyce. Doris, it is a pleasure to see you posing. If you like, stick around and get to know our little family :)

SeaMunky

GS- I couldnt have said it any better my friend..

Doris..Glad to see you pop in..Please be sure to come back and say hi..I am new to this breeding hobby, and I have heard nothing but wonderful things about her writings..I am told they are a *Must-have*
Sorry for your loss *hugs* My prayers are with your family

Last edited:

MensaPE

Hi. I am Joyce's first husband, Harold. I was shocked to hear about Joyce's passing on to her great reward. Joyce was my best friend for a number of years. Bill Sarnecky, was of course Joyce's Soul Mate, and I was very very happy for them, and saw them briefly a few times over the years. They were not just soul mates, but they set the standard. 2 peas in a pod.
As a fellow Professional Engineer, and a member of Mensa, I rate Joyce as being the best I know. In her college years, Joyce revered Janis Joplin, not for her somewhat destructive personal life, but for Janis' supreme confidence and accomplishments. Joyce also adored Felton's accomplishments and "can do" attitude. Joyce was not into "accomplishments" for their own sake, but to do and complete something significant, the recognition just goes with the territory. So, even now 3 years later, thinking brings me a tear. I hope the best for Hazel, the two remaining "J's" and the three "D's".
With my eternal respect. Harold

Ericm1205

wow i didnt know. i just got her book over the weekend and i am reading it now. kinda sent a chill up my spine.
just seen this was a 3 year thread resurrected by her ex husband..intersting.

SeaSiren

Yes I too am new to the clown breeding world and was referred to Joyce's book by Doni!....Thank You Doni...and her awesome and inspirational insight into breeding clownfish...I just recieved Joyce's book yesterday and I couldn't figure out why I was having trouble finding a copy...and then I saw it referenced as the Late Joyce Wilkerson...I didn't believe it till I just so this thread. I have heard many great things about Joyce and can't wait to get into the book that I have heard like everyone else it the "have to have book for breeding clowns"...I was even going to open the box tonight but its like a present and I am so excited I don't want to ruin the fun to fast!...lol

Joyce would be proud looking down now and seeing how many people her book has inspired and helped to become successful breeders of clownfish! And as a lady and soon to be breeder I think its awesome that she wrote this book that everyone men and woman alike call the "bible" for rearing clowns that a huge mark in itself.

Many condolences to the family! and I agree she is up there now convincing the "big guy" to whip up some new hybrid clowns maybe Angel clownfish!:angel2:

fishstink

wow that is sad. i purchased her book a few years ago and read that they are out of this world expensive now, i looked em up on amazon last night and a new one was $450!!

Jaye

Doris - I am soo sorry. Joyce and I lost touch - but my heart aches for her and our loss. Jaye

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif