Joining The Club!!!

echopiece

Ok, so I am wanting to add another fish to my 130D and would love some input. I currently have 2 clowns, and a pajama cardinal. I was tossing around the idea of adding a 6 line wrasse, but they seem so common? Has there been a post on here with a list of compatible fish for our tanks? I want something reef compatible, colorful and some what rare. I would like to have something that not everyone has. Come on guys, help me out! :help:

p.s. I recently had a bi-color blenny that had to go as he was nipping my coral and clams non-stop!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Usually the things that no one else has are the expert only fish that folks have a hard time keeping alive. :) Six Lines get mixed opinions on aggressiveness. Not very many have a Rainford's Goby - Glenn and one or two others. Midas Blenny maybe? I'm sure others will reply!

echopiece

Thanks Terry. I know, I so wanted a mandarin early on, but realized it wouldnt be fair to the fish, nor would I want to endure the efforts of trying to keep one alive! Some have been successful, and thats great! I have been eying this 6 line at my LFS. They have such cool swimming patterns. We'll see, hopefully more will chime in.

redsea reefer

I would not put the 6 line in the tank Echo. They start out calm and once they are familiar with the tank, then they turn into hell raisers. Trust me, I HAD one. There are many other Wrasses to choose from, that would be my vote. I have a Rainfords Goby, He has eaten nothing but algae, no frozen food at all.

echopiece

So recently, a friend bought me a coco worm for my birthday. I situated him in the bottom half of the tank and he seemed to do fine for about 3 or 4 days. His feathers were out and it appeared normal. Well, I came home the next day and saw his feather crown was stuck in my MP10. I looked down at the worm and the hole was empty! I was pretty bummed and didnt understand what happened. About 3 days later I figured he died and I would pull the tube out of the tank. When I grabbed it, it definitely felt alive as it shuttered inside with movement. My thinking now is that he isnt dead? Can these guys lose their feathers and still survive? Or does the future look grim for this guy?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It's my understanding they can dropped their plumes & regrow them, even abandon their tube if they do not like where it is & create a new tube.

Maybe he will regrow one after the mp10 accident - best of luck!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I highly doubt the MP10 had anything to do with the shed crown unless the worm was being blasted by current. The Vortechs have quite a bit of pull, and I'm not surprised that the shed crown was pulled up by the updraft of the MP10. I've even seen weak and dying fish pulled up against the Vortechs by the updraft. Do you have any wrasses or other worm eating fish in the tank? They usually drop their crowns from stress, irritation or starvation. It sounds like the worm is still alive, so hopefully you'll see a new small but growing crown pop out of the tube soon.

echopiece

I agree, I dont think the MP10 had anything to do with this. Thats just were I noticed the shred crown ended up. I am sure it was stress from being in a new tank, hopefully it will regrow.

echopiece

Forgot to post, but my feather duster is ok and grew another crown.

On another note, after much speculation I finally caught my harlequin shrimp eating an astrenia star fish. I have have had him for about a month now, and he hid 90% of the time. Well, this past week he has been out on the prowl hunting star fish! Tonight, my wife (of all people) noticed him chowing down. Funny thing is, I told my wife yesterday that the starfish population seems to be diminishing. From what I understand, these shrimp are not a sure thing on eating astrenias. I snapped a few pics and video.

harlequin1.jpg

harlequin2.jpg

In my haste, I had the video on a lower quality. But if you look closely, you can see the shrimp holding the starfish in his grip. Very cool to watch!

Click to watch:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to hear from you and good to hear the duster grew a new crown. Nice pics and video of the Harlequin waving the asterina around!

echopiece

I was recently up in Chicago for the holidays and we stopped at the Shedd Aquarium for some fun. The wild reef exhibit was just awesome. Being from FL we frequently visit Sea World, and I must say the reef tanks at the Shedd were quite impressive! Wasnt sure where to post these videos, so figured I would just throw them on here. Enjoy...

Reef wave: Just behind this wall, there is a large column of water that is raised and then dumped into the tank - approx. every 20 seconds.
YouTube - Shedd Reef Wave

Reef 1
YouTube - Shedd Reef 1

Reef 2 - There are 2-400W halides over this tank.
YouTube - Shedd Reef 2

Reef 3
YouTube - Shedd Reef 3

Coral Lab
YouTube - Shedd Coral Lab

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I grew up in the Chicago area and the Shedd was one of my favorite spots to visit! Nice videos - looking at the rest of them now.

echopiece

Its really top notch! I grew up near Chicago too, but havent been to the Shedd in nearly 8 years. The reef exhibit was new for us!