Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

chickenjohn

@SPR
Ive been looking into apex more since Pancho's bad luck and too be honest I haven't got a clue what I need, so if you wouldn't mind can you tell me what modules, cables etc I need for full redundancy
Equipment I have which would need to be controlled are as follows

Reef octopus varios 6 return pump (apex ready)
2 maxspect gyre 250's
2 mp40's (apex ready)
2 aqua medic titanium heaters controlled by a d-d controller
2 h2ocean pro 4 dosers (not sure about these needing apex controllability)
I think that's it.
Also would probably go for the leak detection and auto feeder

Lights are hydra 26.hd's so don't think I would gain anything by having the apex controlled.
As much help needed as possible thanks

SPR

@SPR
Ive been looking into apex more since Pancho's bad luck and too be honest I haven't got a clue what I need, so if you wouldn't mind can you tell me what modules, cables etc I need for full redundancy
Equipment I have which would need to be controlled are as follows

Reef octopus varios 6 return pump (apex ready)
2 maxspect gyre 250's
2 mp40's (apex ready)
2 aqua medic titanium heaters controlled by a d-d controller
2 h2ocean pro 4 dosers (not sure about these needing apex controllability)
I think that's it.
Also would probably go for the leak detection and auto feeder

Lights are hydra 26.hd's so don't think I would gain anything by having the apex controlled.
As much help needed as possible thanks
To start I would just get the 2016 Apex Fusion, it comes with much of what you need to start out. The UK version doesn’t come with the advanced energy bar, it’s the old one.

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s.../apex-system/neptune-systems-apex-system-2016

To control the Ecotech MP40s you need the WXM module

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s.../apex-system/neptune-systems-apex-system-2016

I don’t know about controlling your main return, as it’s not ecotech so you will need to read what you need for that, unless you just want to plug it into Apex for off and on in which case you don’t need anything . Same with the Gyres

You could leave the heaters into the DD and then plug the DD into Apex for triple redundancy which is what I have. The programming is very easy

You don’t need everything to be plugged in or controlled by Apex otherwise you will waste the energy bar sockets so maybe no need for the auto doser or lights, although something like the Ecotech Radion XR30w G4 Pros are fully Apex Integrated.

For the leak detection
https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...nsions/neptune-systems-ldk-leak-detection-kit

The autofeeder just plugs in

Many of the modules include additional sockets for other sensors and modules etc to save you buying them again.

The breakout box enables you to connect float switches, light sensors and whatever your mind can imagine to Apex. I have a float sensor at the bottom of my ATO and also in the main sump st a high level that’s activated in the event of main pump failure when the sump fills up.

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...d-expansions/neptune-systems-i-o-breakout-box

That should be enough to get your head spinning! Lol

chickenjohn

Thanks Shaun
I will look for something simpler as I cant get my head around all these module things I need for this and module for that, I thought I just had to buy apex and plug things in and tell it what to do, but it seems not the case, I think there is a massive market for simple control of an aquarium at a reasonable price, for example the dosing containers, £280 for a plastic container? they should be locked up for charging that amount, only having a 6 socket power bar and being charged more than the US who get the 8 socket power bar, personally I think they are just sticking 2 fingers up at us brits so I will return the favour and not buy their system.
Ive had a quick look at GHL but it looks even more complicated.

COME ON GUYS, GIVE US A SIMPLE APPROACH TO AQUARIUM CONTROL.
IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE THIS COMPLICATED AND EXPENSIVE.

Rant over.

SPR

Thanks Shaun
I will look for something simpler as I cant get my head around all these module things I need for this and module for that, I thought I just had to buy apex and plug things in and tell it what to do, but it seems not the case, I think there is a massive market for simple control of an aquarium at a reasonable price, for example the dosing containers, £280 for a plastic container? they should be locked up for charging that amount, only having a 6 socket power bar and being charged more than the US who get the 8 socket power bar, personally I think they are just sticking 2 fingers up at us brits so I will return the favour and not buy their system.

Rant over.
Lol

It’s a very advanced and sophisticated system, but really easy to use and program honestly.

It’s like anything, you get what you pay for, although I agree I can’t see why they charge that much for the DOS containers. Even I won’t buy them, their not even very big.

The basic Apex Fusion comes with everything you need to start out, to monitor power failure etc. The expansion modules are for the fancy extras.

Nobbygas

Thanks Shaun

Rant over.
Have a look at the Skimz DLC4 Dosing Containers. Each one holds 1.5 liters, and they cost about 50 to 55 quid for the four, all in one nice unit. They are Acrylic, not plastic.
db4-1.jpg

chickenjohn

It’s like anything, you get what you pay for
I would have to disagree with that in the case of apex, If I got what I paid for then I would get a return pump which is out of this world and so much better than say a Vectra or other high end pumps, I would get a dosing system which again is far superior to anything else out there and not just 2 heads, I would get far superior powerheads than what is available, I would get a dosing container that is made of gold and diamond encrusted, the list goes on and on

Nobbygas

I looked at them and really wanted one but I could not find one anywhere, the companies that did sell them were all out of stock with no idea when they would be back in
I ordered mine from t'Internet. I think it came from Singapore (?). They are well made, with an internal hard 'pipe' that goes down to the bottom, so no need to worry about the flexible tubing 'bending up'. 1.5 liters of Mag or Calc lasts forever. The Alk is obviously used up quicker. Being rectangle in shape also mean they use up less space than circular bottles.

Nobbygas

do you have a link?
Just done another search and cannot find any.
This is the online shop in Germany I use more than any other. In the top right corner is an 'English' button. I think they will charge 14 euros to ship this to the UK.
If you 'Add to Cart' you'll then see a link to Shipping Costs.
They are usually very quick with delivery. I have the older version. This one comes with labels and coloured tubing!
https://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.d...la/Dupla-Dosing-Containers-DLC4-3::20106.html

chickenjohn

On a plus note, ive just done some more tests and ammonia and nitrite are both zero so will transfer fish tomorrow from qt and then concentrate on getting water stable for corals, so happy days at last.

Nobbygas

You're more than welcome.
This Internet thingy is great. For example, there are some products that I just cannot buy in Germany, because of the chemicals in them etc. Chemiclean is one, so I just order it from elsewhere. ATM Colony is another. Also things like Kanoplex or Metroplex cannot be bought in Germany.
They are worried about the chemicals finding their way back into the water table. For example, it is illegal to wash your car on your drive at home. You have to go to a car wash. They don't want the detergent going into the water table.

Nobbygas

wow, its what Sundays are for in UK on a hot sunny day, needless to say ive only washed mine twice this year, all other times the rain takes care of it.
Everything is shut here on a Sunday. No shops open etc. It is also a 'quiet day', so no loud noises, no cutting the lawn, no loud music, no drilling holes in walls etc.

Pancho75

Be careful, Ecotech stopped the Vectra’s compatibility with Apex about 2 or 3 years ago. You cannot control an Ecotech return pump unless is on-off, no feeding mode nor any other features. That is the reason why I am looking at the COR-20.

Personally I believe Apex is expensive but after the hard lesson I got, it is way cheaper than my livestock.

Buy the Apex man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

Pancho75

Thanks Shaun

Rant over.
Come on guys, that wouldn’t happen if you would be using the correct voltage and driving in the right side of the car!

Just saying. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk