Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

chickenjohn

Until this tank ive always used ammonia, just throw some in and leave it to its own devices, never failed.
This time I thought id use the red sea mature pro at £20 each (needed 2 of them) and boy was I ripped off, its just basically a bacteria starter and nopox and corriline gro, £40 quid for that. I bought a bottle of ammonia 12 years ago for 89p and still got a quarter left, Big lesson learnt.
I used to use colony when I added a large fish or large amount of fish just to give the bacteria a bit of a boost.

rustyreefer

So after back and forth with red sea tech support I have returned the skimmer and got a Deltec 1000i and it is skimming perfectly with only minor adjustments, happy days again.
Hate to hear you had issues with your RSK. My RSK 900 has worked great so far. The only thing I don't like about it is that RS didn't upgrade the sump skimmer compartment size to match the skimmer. So they want you to use the far left compartment. Not me! I have to take it apart and reassemble in the skimmer compartment to get it to fit. I am going to be pulling it completely out for the first time soon so that may lead me to go buy a new one lol. But probably not.

Collo

Hate to hear you had issues with your RSK. My RSK 900 has worked great so far. The only thing I don't like about it is that RS didn't upgrade the sump skimmer compartment size to match the skimmer. So they want you to use the far left compartment. Not me! I have to take it apart and reassemble in the skimmer compartment to get it to fit. I am going to be pulling it completely out for the first time soon so that may lead me to go buy a new one lol. But probably not.
What about removing the little glass pieces that I assume the old c skim sat on? no need to disassemble/reassemble the skimmer that way

chickenjohn

So just tested water and something strange,
Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 15-20
Tank was cycled (or so I thought) Nitrite and Ammonia was 0 and Nitate was 10.
My fish was ready to go in dt so I thought I would just do a quick test and the above results, no idea whats going on but will wait again till its all 0 again
I knew I should have done it my own way with some ammonia.

Last edited:

chickenjohn

ive only ever used them when adding a large fish or a large amount of fish, never to cycle and looking at it I never will again, I changed my skimmer brand and got a rubbish skimmer, I changed my atu brand and had problems with it, I changed how I cycle and as ive just said.
Next tank will be done what I know works and equipment I know works.
There is a lot to be had from "old school"

rustyreefer

What about removing the little glass pieces that I assume the old c skim sat on? no need to disassemble/reassemble the skimmer that way
I tried!! They are really on there and I was afraid of applying anymore pressure.
Any suggestions are welcome on how to get them off. That would be fantastic if I could get them off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyreefer

ive only ever used them when adding a large fish or a large amount of fish, never to cycle and looking at it I never will again, I changed my skimmer brand and got a rubbish skimmer, I changed my atu brand and had problems with it, I changed how I cycle and as ive just said.
Next tank will be done what I know works and equipment I know works.
There is a lot to be had from "old school"
I ended up using ammonia and adding Dr Tims one and only. Had really good results!

Collo

I tried!! They are really on there and I was afraid of applying anymore pressure.
Any suggestions are welcome on how to get them off. That would be fantastic if I could get them off!

what about a razor blade or using one of those iPhone tools for popping a screen off. The glass will be silicone in place, you just need to get to the back of it and cut through it

chickenjohn

A cheap day today compared to Col's, just bought a valentine puffer, he has just gone in qt with the mag. foxface so will get a couple of pics later when he has settled a bit.
Tank is still cycling so still waiting and staring at a pile of rocks.

Pancho75

A cheap day today compared to Col's, just bought a valentine puffer, he has just gone in qt with the mag. foxface so will get a couple of pics later when he has settled a bit.

@Collo....
b559e9a509b66b93cefac5507da44c0d.jpg

Last edited:

Pancho75

BTW, are you concern about the puffer from eating corals?