Joey's RSM 650 Tank Thread

Koestby

Hey Joey, hows it going ? A while back u went with Nopox, how did it do? And are U still using it ? Can one stop dosing it when the tank levels out? If U know what I mean... ;)

Frankb1

Hey Joey,
Overall how do you like your TBS rock as far as aquascaping? Been trying to decide between dry rock like BRS reef saver and TBS. Love the biodiversity of the TBS, also love the ease of the dry rock!
Would you go the TBS route again?

Joeys Tank

Koestby --- I ran out of the first bottle of Nopox and didn't dose for two months. Nitrates remained very low and phospates rose from 0.43 to 0.81 (much lower than what they originally started out at). During those two months, I started to have a few patches of GHA, but nothing to get worried about. I received another bottle of Nopox about 4 days ago and started dosing again. One thing of interest is that while carbon dosing, my pH came down from 8.4 to 8.2. Over the two months I stopped, it crept up to 8.5. After 4 days of the new bottle, I see pH coming back down again. I must say, I have been overall pleased with the experiment.

Frankb1 --- I absolutely love the TBS rock with the amount of life it came with. Is it perfect for getting a very beautiful aquascape? I guess that is a matter of opinion. While it doesn't have perfectly cut shapes to make a nice, crisp look, I am happy with how it looks in my tank. If I had to do it again? Yes, I would go with TBS. However, since I would no longer be starting out, I would have a separate tank to keep the rock in and thoroughly inspect for bad HH. Once a rock was declared "clean", I would move it to the display tank. A much slower process for starting out, but you wouldn't be hunting down as many gorilla crabs and such. In fact, since I have a system set up, I very likely would removed a few of my rocks and use them to seed dry rock.

Joeys Tank

Here is the latest pic of the Duncan coral. It had me worried about a week ago when all of its tentacles were retracted for a couple of days. While target feeding it this afternoon, the tentacles wrapped around the food and I was able to notice 4 new heads growing in between the 4 larger heads. Very excited to how it grows over the next couple of months.

The pic comes out blue for several reasons
1) I run half of my LEDs in blue
2) The pic is taken from the side where there isn't a lot of ambient light illuminating the bottom portions of the coral
3) I am a noob with taking pictures

I shut off the pumps and took a top down shot of the Duncan. While I pic up more ambient light, I lose detail because of the longer distance to travel through the water. I love the 650, lots of room, but it does mess with my ability to take fine detail photos.

Joeys Tank

Ok, props to Wrangy for his helpful post on Paint.net. The software adds so much more photo editing capability than what I was using. Here is the picture of the Duncan I put up a week ago

and here is the new version after additional editing in Paint.net

I like the fact that I didn't have to lose any of the detail.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just had a good ol' read of your thread Joey and it's looking fantastic! :) You have an awesome tank coming along very nicely and I'm tagging along for the journey now too :)

I'm happy seeing the shots turned out really well from a bit of an edit! That's a really nice ducan :)

Joeys Tank

Thanks a bunch, Wrangy. Not sure if I mentioned it in here or somewhere else, but I think I have about two more years to go before I can get the tank to where I would like it to be.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks a bunch, Wrangy. Not sure if I mentioned it in here or somewhere else, but I think I have about two more years to go before I can get the tank to where I would like it to be.
No problems :)
Good to hear you have a long term plan for the tank! It makes things a little smoother :) Can't wait to watch it grow though, you're already at a pretty awesome point with it :)