Joey's RSM 650 Tank Thread

Joeys Tank

They came in on the rock when I bought the zoas from a local supplier. The third pic with the red zoas was taken after I put the rock in the tank. At the bottom of the rock, you can see one of the snails. Unfortunately, for me, I didn't know what they were capable of until after I started researching the deterioration.

Now, I know :)

aquachemist

Good to learn new stuff. Come check out my new tank thread and give me some advice if you'd like. I'm 1 week in lol so nothing too exciting yet

Red Sea Max 250

Joeys Tank

Wow, it has been about three weeks since I logged on. Been pretty much in maintenance mode since Christmas. I haven't been very happy with the zoom capabilities of my point-and-shoot so I started giving my phone a try. I love the editing features.

Here is a pic of the larger zoa rock which was eaten my sundial snails. After searching for a month, I haven't been able to find anymore so it looks like the tank will pull through. I used only blue lights to pull out the green colors. I will put up more pics over the next couple of days.

Pat24601

It looks really good. I thought it looked worse in your earlier "after" picture. Has it improved or just different shots?

Joeys Tank

Started to come back very well over the last month. The red zoas are coming back but there were a lot less left after the snails.

Joeys Tank

Thanks, Nano and Pat.

Nothing bad has kept me away for the last two months, only that I haven't added anything since Christmas and was in auto-mode.

Finished my first bottle of NO3-PO4-x and the lowest I was able to get my phosphates was 0.43 ppm (started out at 1.82ppm). Is this good or bad? Well, you can read many different opinions on the internet; however, the best indicator of whether it works or not is your tank. Water quality, fish, coral and invertebrates are amazing "test kits" to let you know whether your tank is doing well or not. We have read that you shouldn't chase numbers and this is good advice.

My bottle ran out about two weeks ago. What have I seen since then? No noticable increase in Nitrates, but little crops of GHA here and there (nothing at all to worry about). I will most likely get another bottle if just to keep the GHA in check. Thanks to Oxy's excellent post on activated carbon (sorry, can't remember just yet where it was), I thought to myself "oh yeah, I need to change out some" :)

I spent the last couple of months playing around with my point-and-shoot camera, trying to get better at taking pictures. Simple realization was that my iPhone blows the camera out of the water. I will slowly start putting some up on here to show some of the growth I have had since I started this hobby last summer. Amazing, insane growth? No, but "slow and steady wins the race" and "nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank" continuously run through my mind.

Joeys Tank

I added a few fish over the weekend.

The first is a pair of juvenile Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish. They are most likely between 3-6 months since they still have their three white stripes. The stripes will begin to turn yellow/gold around 9-12 months. They are the first semi-aggressive fish I have added and part of the last set to go in.

I also added a Flameback (Dwarf) Angelfish. It is also semi-aggressive and why it is going in second-to-last into the tank. While angelfish are known to nip at SPS coral, this species not as much (also, I only have two SPS pieces in so I am not as worried).

Joeys Tank

Care level is very easy. It sits on the sandbed with moderate flow/lighting. I don't target feed it and in the 6 months, I has grown approximately 8 new mouths.