Joes RSM 130d

JoeCanada11

Hello everyone. My nam is joe and I have been keeping FW aquariums since I was a boy for just over 20 years. I decided to start my firs reef a few months ago and due to budget,space and the wife requiring my aquarium to look nice and not look like a crazy lab experiment I went with the 130D. First off I want to say I am so glad I found this forum and all the great RSM threads and that we have a dedicated sub forum. Secondly I have had my tank going for a week. It's stock setup for now and probably will be for a few months. I used mostly dry rock and seeded it with some live stuff from a local reefer. However I noticed after it looks like there are worms inside it ( definitely not bristle worms or flatworms though so from my research they are probably safe ). For sand I used arag alive special grade reef sand. No livestock yet as I am going very slow and will keep the tank very under stocked until it matures quite a bit.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Hi Joe - Cheers for starting a new tank thread & sharing your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :) Congrats on the new RSM 130D sounds like you are off to a great start !

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Welcome to a great place Joe! :wave:
Looking toward to seeing how much patience you have :chair: and seeing your tank progress.
You'll get lots of really good advise here so keep the posts coming!

JoeCanada11

Thanks guys. I was trying to add a couple pics from my phone as that's what all my pics are on. Is there a trick for uploading pics on reefsanctuary ? I love all the RSM threads. They are great looking tanks. I'm excited to add stuff in a few weeks, even adding my CUC is an exciting notions. They are neat.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Joe, you can add pictures AFTER you have made 5 posts. So post away, then you can use photo bucket app to upload pictures. I upload from my iPhone & my iPad. It's easy :)
This for sure is EXCITING & FUN...I am addicted to sharing my progress & this is such an amazing place to study up & ask questions before you actually get to go FISHING. :)

JoeCanada11

Ok thanks for the tips. Ill have some pics up later tonight. Though right now I just have some rocks and water lol.

JoeCanada11

So that's what it looks like right now. My plan is to trade some of the bigger rock for smaller pieces and some more live rock. It's so hard to scape with large pieces and I'm not 100% happy with the scape.

JoeCanada11

You are very welcome & I did :)

I have a question. When you were running your 130 what tips do you have for the skimmer. I just turned mine on today and two things. First it seems quite loud. Secondly the bubbles aren't flowing up into the cup. I found the valve quite hard to adjust and the line seemed a bit short. Thanks for any help.

Joe

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It will take a couple weeks to break in, the skimmer wet skim, they keys for me was always consistent water levels, and running the water level very high. Will take a bit of playing with adjusting the neck height from no skimmate to over flowing, but you can get it dialed in to produce green stinky wet skimmate.

Here one silencer many members have had success with http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...68-jasons-rsm-130d-journey-2.html#post1018938

JoeCanada11

So I have a question reefers. My tank has been running for 10 days now and I now have brown algae popping up on the rocks,sandbed, and glass. Does this mean I can add a few snails and crabs now?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Joe all that means is you have an algae bloom at hand which is perfectly normal on most new tanks.

You wont add a Clean Up Crew until after the cycle is complete and you've started your water changes to reduce NO3 in the tank.

JoeCanada11

Thanks Al. I figured its probably too early to add anything but I was looking for an excuse haha. I gotta be patient so this all works out.

JoeCanada11

Since all of you have been so helpful one more question. Would it be fine to switch out some of my "dry rock" for a bit of live rock from the lFS? Reason I ask is I want to get some more coraline in there and even some more micro life bristle worms etc.