Jjohnson3's reefing passion...

Mya

I did.
About the clown. Im not sure. My clown has had a lil pin hole in one of her fins since I got her and its never really closed up. It doesn't affect her at all. She just does her thing as alway. Still mean as a hornet. Haha.

My only concern personally is ... Make sure you got good water flow all around those rocks. It looks like you bumped them or rested them up against the back glass. Make sure you got good flow all around the rocks so that way you have no stag water which can produce NO3 in your tank.

jjohnson3

Yea, That was a concern for me as well. I think Im going to buy a Hydor Koralia soon! :) Maybe I can afford a frag...

Mya

My Hydor did great pushing water across the front but not the back before.
Jeremy says he has a spray bar or something like that? Ask him what he has and what he uses to get water to flow behind the rocks. If you pointed the Hydor across behind the rocks then I can see it getting back there.

jjohnson3

I found a way to get the water pushed across the back...I will take a powerhead and put it in the middle of the tank in the back. Then, I will aim it toware it blows through the whole back wall. I will probably buy the biggest Hydor that they make just to be safe! Can you have too much flow?

Mya

Yes. You can. Some corals like low or med flow. Also, you dont want a underwater hurricane.... haha..

jjohnson3

hAHA...Underwater Hurricane...My side hurts from laughin so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gettin SPS in a few months so I think High flow could be a good idea.

Mya

All depends on the type of SPS's you want. Just make sure you research before you buy... but hey I dont have to tell you that...

Right?

jjohnson3

Nah, You dont have to but thanks for the reminder! I actually thought about doing a wysiwyg frag pack from pacificeastaquaculture.com when I hit the 6 month mark. Either that or a nice orange montipora cap! I can not seem to find a coral colony though. All I can seem to find is a 1'' or 2'' frag. I want a descent sized coral!

Mya

Well, colony size stuff looks nice but... You know how much pride comes from saying.. I grew that HUGE piece from nothing more then a TINY piece?!?!

And then paying it forward to someone that is like you are now. Just starting out.

Mya

My local friend Kim here.. She has had her monti for a little while and it is already big. She broke a piece off the other day when moving it and said, here ya go. Its in the bottom of my refuge now. Im not a monti cap kinda girl....

My only other suggestions with the monti ... is pick on you REALLY like. They can be a nice center or show piece.. but if its a dull color or one you are not really liking.. can kinda be a waste. Get what I mean?

yungreefer2410

yes you can easily have to much flow. i have a k2 and k1 in my 29g. my monti loves it. my gulfarium has the back wall complety covered with rocks but there tanks are all over 100g

Mya

They might have like Jeremy and have a spray bar back there too to create good water movement as well.

Mya

Morb do you have you're Vortech cranked wide open?

Vortechs do like 3k gph. I want one. They are the rocking fire.

Mya

You should have atleast 4-6 time the number of gal. you have in you tank (and some say sump too) go though your sump an hour. Atleast.