Jjohnson3's reefing passion...

Mya

My clown tough loved an open brain to death. Make sure you keep a good eye on em... srsly... They get crazy...

jjohnson3

Lol. Yea mine constantly play "lets see who can kick the crab out of the anemone". Its really funny. The anemone crab will get in and then the clowns will dart at it and it goes away. Lol

jjohnson3

Well, My BTA got sucked in the filter a few days ago...WAAAAAA! My tank got really cloudy but now all is good. I still have some hair algae, but I think it makes the tank look more natural. If it goes away Ill be happy, if It dont Ill just control it the best I can. I found out that it was the TAP water. I use distilled now. Thats all I can get here. I went to my LFS and found a torch coral that is like 6''!!! I bought it for $39.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats an awesome deal! It had to have like 12 heads on it! Thats all I got. I am also planning to put the base rock in my tank in a few months. It is "coloring up" in a container of SW with a powerhead, 1 cup of sand, and a small peice of LR. The LR is directly in front of the powerhead so the spores will spread. I need to get me a heater for the coloring up rock box. I also have a dual T12 strip light above the box for lighting. Ill keep you updated on how it colors up...

morbius18

Why are you keeping the rock in a rock box? I read that you are trying to get them to color up, but won't they do that in the tank as well?

jjohnson3

Yes the rocks will color up in the display but the whitish looking rock grabs too much attention. The torch is in the display. My maroon clowns are staying near it nonstop so maybe they are going to host it!!!

morbius18

If you grow rocks under different lighting than the Dt, wont you have some coraline die off from the accimation to brighter light?

lcstorc

It's not just the corraline. Hubby put a large white rock in our reef and it looked awful until it started getting "dirty". Then the corraline grew and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference now.

jjohnson3

So are you saying I should put the white base rocks back in my display and let them get dirty and then let coraline grom on them in there? I can do that!

lcstorc

To me it makes no difference. I didn't like the white white but once it got a bit dirtier (or just less white) it started to blend in.

jjohnson3

Ok. By dirtier do you mean diatoms? I did notice diatoms on the white rock whn it was in the display for a few weeks. Thanks for the help!!!!!

jjohnson3

Here is a FTS I took like 2 minutes ago. I added all 50LBS of base rock in addition to the 30-35LBS of live rock. I think I should have enough rock!!! :):):):):) Here is a pic of the new torch too. It has 11 heads that I can count. Seems pretty happy right now. Its like 6" from side to side. My clowns might host it...they are spending a lot of time with it but not like they did with my BTA. :(
I also threw in a few more pics of my tank. Im glad it finally cleared up!

DSC00448.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

Mya

JJ,
If you look at pics of when I set up the 90 you will see some pics where the rock is really read or purple. And other parts where it is very white. The very white parts were rocks that were turned differently before and didnt get exposed to the lights and algae. Now ... even after just 2 weeks or so.. you can already see pink.. purple.. and red spots starting to form and the white has blended in some. Just put the rocks in and in time... they too will become live rock and blend in with everything else.