Jjohnson3's reefing passion...

jjohnson3

Well, many of you have seen me posting a lot lately. I rely have enjoyed being able to talk to you all. All of you are great people and have been a big help to me. I hope that I can be a big help also to many others as well! I decided that I should post my tank thread! I had 50 lbs of base rock and 30-35lbs of live rock in my 38. I took all the base out and left the live rock only. Here is a list of livestock with some pics. Sorry some of the pics may be tad old. My camera died. Lol. Its on the charger. I took like 50 pics before my camera died. Most were of my Mated clownfish/anemone trio. That is a truly amazind point of view in my tank. I devote about 2-3 hours a day just watching the tank to see if I notice anything akward. I do 20% waterchanges once a week.

Equipment

38 gallon AGA in Cherry
Aqueon 55 HOB filter
Nova Extreme Pro(6-39 watt T5HO)
Stealth Heater rated for 40 gallons
Maxi-Jet powerhead(1200 gph)
Some other powerhead rated for 20 gallons
Digital thermometer
Regular thermometer(Only to make sur the digital one is correct)

Reef structure

30-35lbs of live rock
40lbs of live sand

DSC00387.jpg

Fish

Mated Pair of Maroon Clownfish with their ever-so-loved Green Bubble Tipped Anemone

DSC00377.jpg

Corals

Hammer

Frogspawn

Pagoda

DSC02577.jpg

Red Mushroom

Green Open Brain

DSC02575.jpg

Bubble

Candycane

Inverts

Green Bubble Tipped Anemone(Pic is with Maroon Clownfish Pair)

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Coral Banded Shrimp

Scarlet Reef Hermits

Pair of Anemone Crabs(one is hosting the anemone as well as the clowns)

Assorted Snails

I hope you all love the pics! Sorry if you notice a lot of algae. It all started on a little peice of live rock, then its everywhere. Before you get too happy about the anemone in my tank my mom bought it as a surprise with the clownfish. She did not know that they needed an older tank and the LFS wont take returns. I no longer do business there anymore. Sorry, I took the pics of what I could. The rest will have to wait for later. Enjoy! Tell me what you think!!!

BLAKEJOHN

Pics arnt very clear and its hard to tell. Just a day? You wont really notice if it is ok or not for maybe a month. Anenomes have a very slow motabilism rate and when they are on the way out you never really know till the end.

Well I was going to ask what the anenome looking thing is on the back wall. But after looking for a while I just realized that it is a Paper Coral.

jjohnson3

Well it seems that I have algae galore. Hair algae and the flat kind that sticks to everything! Do lawnblower blennys eat hair algae. Maybe just a coincidence but it seem reasonable! lol

yungreefer2410

they might i'm not sure. i used tap water for my reef a year or 1.5 yrs ago and had real bad HA. i figured out to use ro water from lfs (its a good one) and after about two months and wc every week it was gonee and has yet to come back

Mya

My lawnmower eats everything and anything it can.

As for the pics. Try imageshack. I post using them and works like a charm.

Also, Welcome to the chronicles thread. Warning, I'm bad about getting ppl off topic.

Well, whats next for your tank?

Thats alot for SW. I pay .75 cents a gal for it and .50 for RO water. Walmart has that machine thing out front. But I dont know how good the water quality is. I'm sure the filters don't get changed that often.

jjohnson3

Im really not sure. After the anemone stops moving probably something that eats hair algae! Maybe a long tentacle plate coral. My anemone has gotten underneath a rock today! Not very happy at all but im going to leave it and let it move somewhere else tonight. Im done with crabs. They are horrible creatures. They step on corals, thus making them close up! I need some snails, big time! Im in love with LPS corals. Any varieties you like?

Mya

Im a LPS fan myself. And I like softies a lot.

Red/Blue's do tend to mess a lot of stuff up in my tank. I think I have like 2 left and don't plan on getting anymore. Just snails. My emerald crab seems gentles and not to bother things. Shrimp tend to be gentle too.

What days do you do your water change on?

jjohnson3

I do waterchanges usually on Fridays or Saturdays. I get off at 6 during the week and dont feel like doing one usually.

Mya

I was just curious how many ppl have a scheduled day that they do water changes on. Or is it like a ... oh I feel like doing a water change guess I will do it type thing.

Tru2nr

lol i do mine whenever haha im a big fan of letting things be unless there is a problem when a problem comes about then i fix it

on the RO water i would honestly say invest in a RO system it will be much cheaper in the long run and you will always have control of your water quality

Tru2nr

i would be very careful with the maroon's hosting in your bta they will most likely love the bta to death, i would seperate them from the nem until it gets adjusted to being in your tank if you can

jjohnson3

I have no way to separate them unfortunately. They do seem to love it! The anemone still opens real wide so im not that worried, but if it starts to shrink/not open/show other signs of stress I will definately separate somehow. Maybe placing the clowns in a 10 gallon for a few months. No problems as of now. Just regular maroon clownfish doing there thing! Oh, they are verrrrry agressive over their "Home". Its really interesting to watch anything come near their anemone because then they go into kill mode! Lol