Jiddy 220 *something clever*

Jiddy

It was a pain tryin to add 100lbs to a tank that is built on little pieces, i should of reAquascape'd, but i will save that for a later date, im learnin as i go!

A also bought one small piece of LR from the LFS for the coralline, and noticed this small red dot, anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

• RedDot.JPG
    RedDot.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 67
  • RedDot2.JPG
    RedDot2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 67

Jiddy

So life went on for a few weeks like that, the Amm never showed up, and Nits did for a day or two. Nats went as high as 20, but they down now too. I assumed my cycle was over and i was happy, until i realize what comes after a cycle, the AlgaeWar. Here are some shots:

Attachments

• Diatom.JPG
    Diatom.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Diatom2.JPG
    Diatom2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0394.JPG
    DSCF0394.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 65

Jiddy

So i tell my wife, ya, we need a cleaner package. Shes like okay, i tell her its about $150 dollars, shes like what? for snails? I say ya, we get like 200+ thou, WHAT? we dont need that many..... So i let the algae grow for a couple of days to show her, we had 8 Mexican Turbos (all LFS sells) and they couldnt dent the thing, she finally realized we need a few hundred. Just for anyone who wants to know I bought my pack from www.REEFTOPIA.com and would rec them to anyone. Some places have cheaper or comparable places, but i have no tolerance for poor C.Service, and must say that RT was the third place i was goin to order from, but Edie and the rest of their CS was great. Any place that gives you free overnight shippen compared to $50-60 is a great place in my book.... Here are some turbo shots and i just got my package yesterday, so im at the beginin of the Algae Wars right now

Attachments

• Snails.JPG
    Snails.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 63
  • SnailPk2.JPG
    SnailPk2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 63

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
*grin* Nice toe pic.

Ahhh.. algae wars... They come so that you'll be sure to appreciate the non-algae days ahead. Do you use ro/di water? Ro/di, reduce trAtes and po4 via water changes and you'll be fine in a few months. Just be sure to remove any dead snails or they'll just recycle all the bad stuff they've eaten back into the water.

Jiddy

Some things to add. My Wrasse was about the evilest guy you could have, pretty, but evil. So i finally caught him usin an old jerky jar and traded him for a LMBlennie at my LFS (no shot yet) and i also was surprised by my wife who brought home a green shroom and a pulsin Xenia (i know I know-she knows now too) And my little blue damsel was murdered by the wrasse *we blame him* so we only have a YT, LMB and 3-stripe damsel until we fight the algae off!

Pics:
Xenia
Shroom
My Son an I with captured Wrasse
Full Tank Shot as of 2days ago!

Attachments

• Xenia.JPG
    Xenia.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Shroom.JPG
    Shroom.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0462.JPG
    DSCF0462.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0461.JPG
    DSCF0461.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 62

Jiddy

Woodstock said:
*grin* Nice toe pic.

Ahhh.. algae wars... They come so that you'll be sure to appreciate the non-algae days ahead. Do you use ro/di water? Ro/di, reduce trAtes and po4 via water changes and you'll be fine in a few months. Just be sure to remove any dead snails or they'll just recycle all the bad stuff they've eaten back into the water.

I do run all RO/DI water, the only water that wasnt happend from the other tank i took over. Now all i use is RO water.

I will be taken out any dead snails, even the astrea that dont flip over, lol, silly lil buggers

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I love that pic of you and your son!! You both look like you're having a blast!! :)

Ohh... the tank looks good too!! ;)

Mad Mike

Super set up. I'd love a tank in the bedroom so peaceful.Hmmmm Great story and shots.

Cute kid :) Awwwwwwwwwwww

Witfull

Jiddy said:
So realizing that 100lbs looks like a spec of dirt in my tank, i went ahead and but 7 cement blocks in my tank, no, i ordered 4 more boxes of the baseRock.
hey,,i resemble that comment :)~

and its only 6 blocks~~

incase you missed this in your posting.....LOL

Witfull

Mad Mike said:
Super set up. I'd love a tank in the bedroomCute kid :) Awwwwwwwwwwww
my 210 is in the bedroom suite....i can see 2/3's of it from the bed,,i stare at it with the actinics when im falling asleep.

Newt

:lol: About time you set up a chronicle Jidz!

Tank is looking great, some excellent progress that you have there. Did you use anything like starboard on the bottom of the tank, or is the rock just sitting on the glass. cross the fingers for no rock slides..

I don't know about you, but I'm not too happy with my HOB overflow. It keeps getting air in the U-tube and will lose suction so the level of my sump goes way down. I'm going to try CPR's Continuous Siphon Overflow with the lift pump. It may cost me $100 but it's worth averting a flood. Yet again, spending $200 more for a drilled tank wouldn't been worth avoiding a flood. "Currently kicking myself for that one" :columbo:

And Wit, the cement blocks were genius, he's just mad he didn't think of it first,,, :lol:

Jiddy

Wit knows im just playin!

But you better be happy i set up my thread, i did it just to shush you up, and get those frags! LoL. Anyways, im only run true BB because my sand has been backOrder, so that will be fun to add that to my tank when it finally comes.

Also, im not hating the HOB overflow, i havent any problems. Its a Amiracle HOB thou, so its not the CPR. everyone hates the CPR i guess. Mine has been runnin great for about a month now. I actually have a used one left over in my garage. Did you have any algae problems JK?

Newt

Wit knows im just playin!

But you better be happy i set up my thread, i did it just to shush you up, and get those frags! LoL. Anyways, im only run true BB because my sand has been backOrder, so that will be fun to add that to my tank when it finally comes.

Also, im not hating the HOB overflow, i havent any problems. Its a Amiracle HOB thou, so its not the CPR. everyone hates the CPR i guess. Mine has been runnin great for about a month now. I actually have a used one left over in my garage. Did you have any algae problems JK?

Yah I know he does...LOL. If I ever upgrade I'd consider the idea, rock IS expensive.

Still don't have those frags for you, talk to me a while from now, hopefully everything will have grown out...maybe we can work out a deal. :rolleyes:

Overflow-wise I'm using the Marineland Silent Overflow skimmer. I'll give them that it's silent, but it does a crappy job of keeping a constant flow. I have to pull out the U-tube and reset it every couple of days, that's why I want to try the CPR with the air lift pump. Maybe I'll just go ahead and buy an Amiracle aswell. Actually, I should save that money and save up for the drilled 125 gallon tank and stand that we have at work... :smoking: (I guess just a pipe dream for now)

Actually so far I haven't had any major algae problems. I had a bit of diatom during the initial cycle, but haven't had any brown, hair, cyano or major detritus problems. I'm running Phosguard right now, but I have to say it doesn't work too well, so I'm going to order some Phosban, or ROWAphos to run in my sump. Also, my Turbos and astrea snails are doing a heck of a job, as well as my CRABS! eating detritus and all sorts of junk off of the sand and rock.