Jiddy 220 *something clever*

Jiddy

:redcar: Would you believe me if i told you there is a passenger in the car?

Well here it is, my first SW tank. When i was a little kid my mother let me have a 10g with those big eyed goldfish. Thats how i got started in keepin fish alive. As i got older the fish turned into piranha's, community tanks *neons an rainbows* and the FW likes. Then i went to visit my cousin in Long Island, he had a SW. I rember the day i went to go to the LFS to pick up his puffer that had arrived! Ive wanted a SW tank every since! This was my first one, i was going to transform my 55g FW into one, but what would i do with all my fishes? So i looked in the paper *S.Dakota here* and actually found a 90g for sale! I was like HOLY lucky day :bigbounce I had the tax return money set aside to spend on hookin it up, but first i had to goto S.Diego to visit my buddies! Well when i came back i went to the LFS to order a stand for the 90, i seen a add for a 220.... I couldnt pass that offer up. So the story begins........

Jiddy

This was all the junk i got from the dude.

The obviously
tank1.JPG

The sump
tank2.jpg

A bucket of junk, for FREE! *you can see in the pic a GLASS heater, i heard those are bad, i think Doni told me that, PM her*
Leroy_029.jpg

My Return Sump Pump *Iwaki*
tank5.jpg

Carbon Filter
Leroy_030.jpg

And 4 160w 72" VHO *one ballast was shot* Love IceCap C.Service thou!
Leroy_033.jpg

The tank was nasty, and the wife had no idea what she was lettin me get into. I stayd out in that garage and scrubbed that stuff for days!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Looking good Jiddy!!

LOL @ your glass heater comment :tongue:

Hey... where is the pic of your feet... you know... the one where your wife is working and you're being lazy! LOL~

corvettephreek

due to recent unlucky encounters, i recommend you glue a glass brace between 1/4" and 1/2" underneath your plastic braces, because alot of tanks (especially ones with older, tan subframes) seem to break their braces. other than that, best of luck and everything looks good!!!

Jiddy

Woodstock said:
Looking good Jiddy!!

LOL @ your glass heater comment :tongue:

Hey... where is the pic of your feet... you know... the one where your wife is working and you're being lazy! LOL~

LoL, oh we are goin to play this game? Doni feeds cookies to her pods people, true story ask her about it

Jiddy

So i scrubbed the tank pretty good and had some tuff guy friends of mine help me put the giant tank downstairs. I didnt want to take pics of my friends liftin my tank, cause i really did help that much and didnt want to make them mad!

Heres the clean Sump & Overflow, along with the tank in its final destination, our bedroom! :smoking:

Attachments

• CleanSUmp.JPG
    CleanSUmp.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Leroy 040.jpg
    Leroy 040.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Leroy 042.jpg
    Leroy 042.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Ovrflw.JPG
    Ovrflw.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 161

Jiddy

Next was the funny fact of gettin rock for it. Funny because it cost SO MUCH, after buyin the tank and makin a few sketches of the cost to come, i figured i better just go out in the hills and pick up my own rock, whats the differance right? Well i decided against that and went with ReefRock baseRock from PS *who is junkie* Now i did the professional thing. I ordered a 100lbs, the rock came in great and nice big pieces, that was 2 boxes worth. So realizing that 100lbs looks like a spec of dirt in my tank, i went ahead and but 7 cement blocks in my tank, no, i ordered 4 more boxes of the baseRock. To my surprise, ALL 4 boxes were really small chunks of rock, and that really looks great in a big tank, so i have a Rock Mt. and a Rock wall!

Attachments

• NewRock.jpg
    NewRock.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Leroy 007.jpg
    Leroy 007.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Leroy 008.jpg
    Leroy 008.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 156

Jiddy

I figured id just buy some LR from the LFS and seed the tank! 300lbs or rock really doesnt look like that much, but i couldnt go any higher because the pieces were so small.

Attachments

• Leroy 004.jpg
    Leroy 004.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 155

Witfull

Jiddy said:
So realizing that 100lbs looks like a spec of dirt in my tank, i went ahead and but 7 cement blocks in my tank, no, i ordered 4 more boxes of the baseRock.
hey,,i resemble that comment :)~

and its only 6 blocks~~

Jiddy

Since my tank isnt drilled (i know i know) i had to go not only with the HOB overflow, but that really cuts down on flow options. I decided i would try a PVC CL manifold around the top of the tank. There was a website a while back that had Mag12's for half off, so i went with two. And made two CL's for each side of the tank.....

Attachments

• intake.JPG
    intake.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Leroy 117.jpg
    Leroy 117.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Leroy 120.jpg
    Leroy 120.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 155
  • messN.JPG
    messN.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 152
  • PVC2.jpg
    PVC2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 146

Gina

RS STAFF
Everything is looking great Jiddy! Congratulations on the new tank!! It cleaned up real nice and I can't wait to see it stocked!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow! That tank looks huge next to you! Either it's big or you're a midget :tongue:

Of course I feed my pods cookies! Duh... it's the only way to teach them cool tricks~ :D

Jiddy

After many designs and ALOT of fussing, here is kind of the general idea. These were the shots of the leak test in the garage

Attachments

• CL.JPG
    CL.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 148
  • behind.JPG
    behind.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Fix1.JPG
    Fix1.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 146
  • Fix2.JPG
    Fix2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 146

Jiddy

Woodstock said:
Wow! That tank looks huge next to you! Either it's big or you're a midget :tongue:

Of course I feed my pods cookies! Duh... it's the only way to teach them cool tricks~ :D

well im 6'1" and on the first step of a stool, so its a big nano tank!

Jiddy

Now that that project was done, it was time to add the RO water. Okay i didnt do it my wife did *You Happy Doni* This was actually easy usin the Mag to pump the water to the tank! Besides i needed break from pumpin all that water by hand

Attachments

• halfway.JPG
    halfway.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 74
  • lazy.JPG
    lazy.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 73
  • WtrMnfld.JPG
    WtrMnfld.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 73

Jiddy

Of course when you are settin up a reef tank, thats all you talk about, so naturally all my coWorkers know im settin this thing up. Well at this very moment a fellow CoWorker and Ex-Reefer had an exWife who was tearin down her 65gal tank. Well since in S.Dakota there isnt much demand for a SW tank, she said she would sell the 100lbs of LR, Water and inhabitants (YT, Lunar Wrasse, 2 Damsels) for CHEAP. I thought to myself, finally a break! So i took the offer and went and picked it all up.

For those of you who think that it was inHumane of the fish, even thou i took their water, it was a Sat after the LFS closed and they are closed on Sun and Mon too, so I HAD TO, right! (i know I know)

Attachments

• LR Crud.JPG
    LR Crud.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 73
  • NLR.JPG
    NLR.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 72
  • NLR2.JPG
    NLR2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 72
  • YT.JPG
    YT.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Damsels.JPG
    Damsels.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 72

Jiddy

Here are some full tank shots, sorry about the flash, im new to this whole underwater through glass photography thing, Here is the EVIL wrasse too

Attachments

• DSCF0431.JPG
    DSCF0431.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0434.JPG
    DSCF0434.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0435.JPG
    DSCF0435.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Wrase1.JPG
    Wrase1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Wrasse.JPG
    Wrasse.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 71

Witfull

Jiddy said:
well im 6'1" and on the first step of a stool, so its a big nano tank!
im 6-3 and my tank is armpit high,,i need a stepladder too~~~its a *something clever* tank thing,,,lol