Jeremy0322's 55 gallon build

Jeremy0322

Its a current usa pc light, it runs 2 65watt bulbs, but it has adjustable legs so i can do anything up to probably 30 inches Maybe, the 10 i have is 20 and the legs arent even close to all the way out.

Jeremy0322

Maybe a little bit :dance:

I just dont know what i want to do with it now. At first I was going to do just the standard boring frag tank with nothing in it but eggcrate, but i think i want to make it more "spicy" now, I just dont know what to do, haha. cnfzd:

Mya

Speaking of the magnet frag thing. I looked at one of those on ebay and thought about getting one later on. I thought it might be a nice way to pick up frags so they dont get damaged and blah blah... Well you know why...

Im going to go back and look over the one you made... and possibly make you tell me how you did it so I can do one too for the 90 when it goes up.
Oh, I saw how you did it. Crafty. I didn't notice that it wasn't a store bought one when I first looked at the pics.
I was to busy looking at that rock with the big hole in it that I like. I do really like that rock.. for the third time...

Jeremy0322

Its my favorite rock! I didnt have to go around looking for it either, it came with the tank setup. Yea, the frag rock was easy, some super glue, 2 mag cleaners, and some eggcrate. I sanded down all the enges though so it wasnt scratchy and then just glued them on and stuck them on, very very easy. Not the prettiest thing, but it wont be in there for much longer anyways.

lcstorc

Looking good.
I believe the reason most frag tanks are bare bottom is for easy cleaning. They also don't usually have fish so you can avoid most of the issues caused by excess food.
I too love that rock and the whole tank looks good.

Jeremy0322

Thank you all for the awesome comments. Its nothing like some of the tanks on here but with a little time it should look nice, and its my own little slice of heaven so thats all that matters :bouncer: :bouncer:

That would make sense about the bare bottom tank, and it probably what i will end up doing. I am thinking right now that i would rather spend the money it would take to make the frag tank look good on the DT and just have that get better.

Jeremy0322

What are peoples opinions for best coral growth Kelven wise? Im not looking for appearance, just best light for growth. These will be over my frag tank. Like 10,000K, 20,000K, a mix of the two, tell me what you all think!

Mya

I think nothing. My mind is useless when it comes to that info... but Zap prolly knows. He's pretty good about answering techy questions like that... And I see no one has answered you in a couple days. Want me to jingle his phone and bug him for you? I don't mind poking his brain for you if you need me too.

Alrighty, I banged Zap's ear. He wants to know what kind of corals you want to have. That will help decide on what type of lighting you wanted. I should have thought of that question too... but didnt.. Duh!

He suggested 10k atleast but that if you can get better then you should.
I love it when his iPhone makes him type crazy stuff... Haha..

Last edited:

Jeremy0322

Well, from what I have been reading, the smaller Kelvin ratings like 6700 show the best growth, so that is probably the direction I will be going with the frag tank, and then for the display do something a little higher to see how i like it, like try a few 14,000's and then the actinincs, its not like if they are hideous i cant go buy new bulbs, PC bulbs dont break the bank usually..haha.

Mya

You didn't answer what I asked... Or better yet what he asked...

What are you wanting to keep in there?!?!

Jeremy0322

Oh, haha. Sorry, i have been slacking on the forum front lately, i got Fallout 3 for the xbox360 and it has devoured my life lol. I am not doing anything too serious, just some zoas, shrooms, leather, stuff like that. I would LOVE to find a hammer but have been unable to get my hands on one locally and hate shipping costs...ugh.

Mya

There was a hammer today at the LFS... It was 100 bucks. I know you hate shipping and honestly Im not a fan either but sometimes the price you pay from the LFS is just as crazy... if you were to get it shipped to you...

Also, I know for a fact that LFS has crashed its whole system before...

If I see some hammer around here at a fair price I'll see about shipping you it and all that jazz that we talked about before.

yungreefer2410

i would do no less then 10k for corals. depending on how many heads a hammer has. usually for around $20 a head sometimes less or more

Jeremy0322

Are you talking about the frag tank or the reef tank for the 10k?

And again, another night of Fallout 3, and another 5am bedtime....

Jeremy0322

Yes it will, but i dont care what it looks like really. I am looking for growth in the frag tank, where as I want the Display to be aesthetically pleasing, and i think the best growth is achieved using a different color of light compared to what looks the best.