Jeremy0322's 55 gallon build

yungreefer2410

ok that sucks i hate going to the dentist esp the person who looks at your teeth before the actual dentist comes in. what do you mean you need another cabinet for your skimmer? is your current one not big enough? i'm using a needle-wheel pump for my skimmer...

Jeremy0322

My NEW SKIMMER!! wont fit under my cabitet, its just around 3 feet tall and uses some fancy high pressure pump so im going to need to set it up next to the tank, and to cut down on noise i want to throw it into its own cabinet that has some form of noise cancelling lining.

Jeremy0322

It was made for drop ceilings, thats really all i know. I can run out to the shed later and check a brand name for you, but i think it was like 20 pieces for 45 bucks or something. Any particular reason Mr. Al?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm thinking I might like to do this on the inside of my stand as well. "Sounds" like a "sound" idea :)

Jeremy0322

BigAl - The ceiling tiles were made from a company called "Armstrong" and are "acoustical, fire retardent" tiles made for a drop ceiling type set up. I had a few pics of the box on my photobucket but i did some house cleaning and they dissapeared, so these ones are the best i got. They are of the inside of my stand, and they really do a good job of shutting it up. Nikki said you made a cabinet for your skimmer, and i went through your build thread and saw the stand but i didn't see much detail, did you do anything to keep noise down at all? Any idea what pages of your build thread some better pics of this would be, i could go though all of them but 155+ pages is a bit of a time eater...lol.

DSCN0458.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

The only thing with these tiles is they love to suck up moisture, imagine that. But i spray them with like chlorox bleach about once every two weeks to keep mold away, and about once every 3 months i rotate new ones into the stand, so it keeps it nice and clean under there.

Plecosword - Im thinking about getting 2-3 hippos because i like the schooling effect..J/K! If i can find a pair of them the purple fire fish are cool and would add that purple to the tank, but im going to wait til after christmas because ill have the cash then. So, the suggestions need to keep coming in people!

new reefer 03

how do you plan on catching the tang? :lol: its going to be a fun week when you try.:lol:

your really trading your tand for firefish?

Jeremy0322

I havent decided yet. I would like to keep him but hes going to have to go sometime, hes just going to outgrow a 55, and it makes sense to do it while im adding other stuff so he doesnt pick on them all. Im still debating it. THAT fish was the reason i set up this saltwater tank, so ill be heartbroken when he leaves...haha

new reefer 03

me too. that was the main reason i wanted a SW tank, when i saw my dads tang. i also love the zoas like you...
thats all, i had FW but the color of SW turned me on to it. the tang is such a nice bright yellow, and zoas can be any color!

plecosword

so were all tang lovers! Great pics, maybe you can re arange the rocks to make it looks different when adding the new fish.

Jeremy0322

That is really the only way the rocks look decent in this size tank, so I dont know if that is an option.

And catching the tang wasnt a horribly pain in the butt last time. He had to go into QT a few months back for a bacterial infection, and that only took about an hour to snag him.

Octoman

Jeremy, you get bonus points for thinking about the tang's health. I too will be giving up my yellow tang to a bigger home very soon (possibly today). I love my tang, so it is a lesson learned and I will never buy another fish that can outgrow my current tank. Plans to upgrade never seem to come in time, and it is a very difficult decision to give up a fish that you love. But if you really care about it, you do whats best for the fish in the end.

For the skimmer pump, I would highly recommend a Sedra needlewheel. Mine is quiet and makes some very nice foam. And, stay away from the gen-x pumps!!

Jeremy0322

See, what I would like to do is take him and throw him in the ocean so he doesnt end up in another tank, but living in PA that would take quite an arm:laughroll

And i will look at those pumps, are they pressure pumps, if thats what they are called?

Octoman

Never mind on the Sedra pump. I see you got a beckett skimmer, I don't think you use a needle wheel with that. Now I see why you're looking for a high pressure pump, sorry I'm not much help there...

yungreefer2410

not trying to jack this thread but a do need a needle-wheel pump for my diy skimmer which is like 13in tall. what website did you get yours from octoman?

Octoman

I bought mine locally because I needed it fast, but I'm sure one of our sponsors would have a good price on one.