James 180 w/ 40 Wife-tank

Jackalope

dont have a mag test kit. calc i have not tested as even the basic principle of ph is not even close. i'll edit this post and test calc rq.

container is a brute trash can... new

Jackalope

ummmm.... 280 calc?! wtheck
i wander if i didnt mix this bucket up before i used it. but still i dont think mineral settling will cause ph issues.

Robzilla

What salt are you using? Are you mixing the correct amount? Are you sure? Are you sure sure?

Give that brute a few more rinses. I would never trust the Home Depot/Walmart/wherever you got it from.

jpsika08

280?! if that is correct, begin supplementing some Kent Tech A and B or B-Ionic

Which test kit did you use?

Jackalope

well test kit A: Hagen...
test kit B: not sure on name of it. label is poofed from water. they both show around that range it wasnt off but by 1 drop = 20 ppm

here's the thing. from the first batch i made off of this bucket the calc was around the 440ish range. give or take 20ppm
now its way low. i think its the whole thing i was hearing from boomer about one guy using this salt and having it REALLY cloudy. this batch for me is Really cloudy. and its calc precipitate im pretty sure.

good all Aquavitro Salinity at 120bucks a bucket.

sometimes... every now and then, someone says "we are going to make a very expensive product and sell it at a very good rate because the general public believe you get what you pay for"

Thanks Aquavitro

Jackalope

been using the brute for a while now Rob. this is the first time ive had issues... ok odly enough as this sounds:

i could have had ph and alk issues for much longer than i realize. since this last bucket of salt i gotten. its about 6-8months old. this actually peeked my interest on what the deal is since my last 30 gallon batch which was the second to last of what was left in the bucket,,, the bottom of it.

when i first started asking about Red Sea Pro Salt is the time frame i started noticing odd things overseen like very slow skelletal growth, then recently my starfish melting. checked ph because i thought it was the new rock i put in which yes, is man-made rock. i was pointing to it for a while and killed that theory of the culprit when i tested PH on my ro/di (7.0-7.1) and my last 2 batches of SW (7.8). then i began checking alkalinity after reading a ton of stuff on it finding that w/o alkalinity, calc can be sky high and still it wont be used up by the corals. there must be a ballance between the 2 and of course mag plays a roll as well, but i dont have a kit for it. I'm starting to dig so deep on this and get so overcomplicated i need to get back to the basics and stop reading about orp lol...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
for a guy that will drive 4 hrs to buy a coral hmmm uses test kits that arn't even good enough for fresh water? go to lfs... buy some salifert kits... alk,calc,mag. What your doing is building a nuclear reactor, running it and trying to get radiation readings with an ohm meter lol

jpsika08

LOL, that's a very good example Sas :)

+1 Get some Salifert Test kits, Water quality is what's all about on this hobby, this is the base of a successful tank.

Jackalope

Found out red monti Cap. doesnt like any type of alkalinity changes... dead. now the green cap and the rest of the corals seem to enjoy it. although the red one WAS in a more direct path of the return pump outlet. got a tad impatient on the baking soda dosing =-)
new pics inc shortRy