Issues with RS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_Lambert

Originally posted by LuckyInk
Whoa... Don't knock what the admin's have done to help rectify the problem. It just isn't fair to them.

Not looking to really knock them....

Just stated that they picked the mods for a reason.. and they should stand by them! What Alf did was correct.. Really really late in doing it.. but you can't knock Alf for doing it.. But knock the whole moderator and administration team for not doing it earlier.. they all saw it.. they all knew where it belonged.. and no one did it

Robz,s and Playa's pics have served to this site and many other sites as a tool for advertising not them selfs but the site that they on!.You guys still do not understand that many reefers are looking for nice looking tanks rather than how to take pictures or what new digital cams are in the market now!

Having those pics there in the Photography Forums will be a waste to RS.Dont tell me that you were looking for pics when you found this site.But you were probably amazed of all the nice corals and fishes that some pleople can maintain in a tank right?

Thi's the only way to describe a tank is by showing pics!Are you saying that if I have a plan to start a new thread on my new tank project you guys are going to put it in the Photo forums only because it has pics?I dont get it!

I also noticed that some pleople are going way off of the real reason why TG started this thread!Hey you might get into trouble one day and you'll need her help!I think it's time to put all these issues aside and continue reefing!

Peace to all.

VINA

LisaB

One of the many disadvantages of living where I do is everything happens while you're still asleep, so I apologize for this late input.

Personally, I got tired of seeing the Robz tank pictures thread on the home page. I always thought "Gee, is no one posting anything new?" I thought it made RS look inactive.

I know I'm not the most avid poster here. My expertise and knowledge is limited, therefore I'm not comforable responding to many questions. But I do check everyday to see if I can help. Seeing the same threads on the homepage doesn't give me the impression that there's lots of discussion going on out there.

I do believe that there should be an showcase for tanks that are (for lack of a better word) awsome. Robz's certainly qualifies. Pics of his tank have been my wallpaper more than anything else. I do not feel a "members' tanks" thread would do it justice however, because, heck, MY tank could be in there too; and while my tank is nice, it's not gonna inspire anyone like Robz's or Playa's or any of the other fab tanks out there.

I am going to suggest two thiings: One a member's tanks thread; and two, a Reef Gems showcase on the front page. To be in the Gems showcase, tanks posted in the "Member's Tanks" forum must be nominated and seconded by members. This way, the eye candy stays on the front page without taking up discussion space.

Just my late two cents. Thanks for leaving this open so I could post late. I'll shut up now. :D

Playa

From Alf

"Travis made his decission and didn't ask my opinon at all."

No need to burry Travis Alf.

Luis

Michael_Lambert

There is absolutely no reason why we cant have a Members tank section made.. and then have the qualified threads.. Such as Robz tank sticked and bold-ed.. and these threads would be considered by there poularity... Such as Robz.

On the home Page.. off to the side.. we could have a little menu that says something like RS Top 5.. or somthing.. Where the top 5 most popular threads are allways listed.. SO They are allways on the Main page.. where Anyone comming to this site for any reason would see it first! .. and this way it would solve everyones concerns..

TG's.. By it not getting burried somplace where it won't be seen!

and others where it would be in the correct forums..

Witfull

hmmmm... i have been reading all of this and there have been some good things stated, but there have been some terrible acccusations as well.

i am speaking as a member now, not a moderator. first and foremost we are here to have fun and share the hobby we love. we have made friends here, and look forward to "talking with them". we share a part of our life with them. its nice to get high fives on a good looking aquascaping ar getting a great score on a coral. i know i like it.
we all have a commonality here....reefkeeping and a desire to share our passion.
i dont like some of the things i am seeing. i see character attacks and accusations of abuse of power and feeling being hurt.
but what i do like is that most comments here have bee rational and obviously well thought out,no matter which side of the fence oyur are on. i have also gained more respect for some by there well versed commments.( yes Crakeur, You!)

ok speaking as a Moderator now- we have certain functions to do, one is to help and organize the site. if i see a thread in the GD forum about clams...i move it to the clam forum. do i need to tell the thread starter,,i dont feel i do, but sometimes i will post a little something. when a thread is moved a redirect is left in the forum it was moved from, so if some on was lookinng at it they know it was moved.
as for saying that guests and new members only browse the GD forum. that is not acccurate. i watch the who's online page and see what thread are being read by whom, and see how many guests we have and what they are doing....guess what? they are all over the board. some are directed to us by friends and will look around. others follow google links that take them to a specific area. and some will be here as guest for a long time and lurk exploring every facet of the board without ever joining.
as for editting of posts i dont it very often. i editted with out notice once, and i thing Crakeur will agree i did have a right to do that now. on a few other occations i have PM'd a request to edit due to content. im not a prude but there are certain things that i feel just do not belong, i wont go into details but just remember i am a law enforcement officer.

every one please breathe deeep and try to calm down. there will always be an issue arrising, but lets not let things grow out of control and say things that may harbour resentment or damage friendships.

ReefLady

Staff member
JMO, but I think this thread has started to outlive its usefulness.

Let me recap quickly the issues we have seen and addressed:

1. The thread being moved. New guidelines were set forth by me in this thread as far as posts with photos in them. From this point forward, those will be followed by the mods. The thread in question was retroactively moved back to where it started by me, because I felt that conformed with the new guidelines. Tooloud has put forth the proposition of a new forum. We will consider the support for or against this forum, if the majority of members who speak out want it, we’ll give it to you. The minority will have to live with it, because we simply can’t please everyone. That’s just the reality of being part of a community. If the arguments going on here spill over to Tooloud’s suggestion thread, it will be locked and the mods will have to decide if the forum will be created or not. A simple “for” or “against” would be a much better way to express your opinion in that thread, I think we are all very well aware of the reasons why you would feel either way.

2. Consistency in moderation/overpolicing. We feel this is a justified concern, and the staff was already making progress in addressing the situation. Yesterday morning, before any of this started, Teri and I distributed new guidelines to the moderators concerning edits or the private requesting of edits. We feel the new guidelines will help us work toward becoming more consistent and fair in the future. There is no instant solution here, we have to try our best as we go, so you may not see the results of this action instantly. As a result, you will be seeing much less editing going on, and when it does happen it will take longer to happen- it will be a deliberate process rather than a reactionary one. This presents the members who may be offended the opportunity to do so by reporting threads. This will give us all a better idea of what the community as a whole will tolerate and what you won’t. In retrospect, I should have brought forth this information sooner, but I did allude to it in my first post on this thread.

I want to thank you all for speaking up, but again, if this thread continues to degenerate into circular arguments that accomplish nothing, it will be locked. I don’t want to do that. So if you reply here, this is what I suggest you reply with:

Any outstanding issues that haven’t been addressed and what you propose we do to fix it.

If you want to continue to argue the details, I suggest you take it private, keeping in mind that personal attacks will not be tolerated in private just as they are not in public.

It’s time to move forward, guys.

Travis

Michael_Lambert

one thing to remember to is the cost of running the board..

Just think of the money wasted while people are flipping back 10 - 15 pages of threads looking for that photo one.. or that special one they want to see.. It cost money using up all the bandwidth reloading all the pages and so on..

SO it makes total sense to have much more organization on the forum.. So that the admins Terri and Travis don't need to spend all that money one wasted bandwidth and instead can invest it into the board!

caja

Lucky, you'll have to forgive our friend dickie, it's not his fault. occasionally we forget to lock the door behind us when we leave and he get's out from time to time. he's harmless really. quite sweet when you get to know him too.

ask him how his mangroves are doing. (xoxo dickie)

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
I am sure he ment it in jest. (??)
You know... Like that old Pace Picante sauce commercial:
Cook serves cowboys food on the range.
Cowboy one says "Hey! Where is that Picante sauce made?"
Cowboy2 says "New York City..."
All say "NEW YORK CITY??!!"
Cowboy3 looks to a nervous cook and says "Get a rope..."

Last edited:

caja

I love you dickie! Ken, I tolerate you.

of course it was meant in jest. we have a warped sense of humor that takes a little getting used to.

um...excuse me edge, but did you just say !%^? Isn't that one of the seven words the FCC recently announced was no longer allowed to be used? I'm sorry hun, but I'm going to have to report you.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
2. Consistency in moderation/overpolicing. We feel this is a justified concern, and the staff was already making progress in addressing the situation. Yesterday morning, before any of this started, Teri and I distributed new guidelines to the moderators concerning edits or the private requesting of edits. We feel the new guidelines will help us work toward becoming more consistent and fair in the future. There is no instant solution here, we have to try our best as we go, so you may not see the results of this action instantly. As a result, you will be seeing much less editing going on, and when it does happen it will take longer to happen- it will be a deliberate process rather than a reactionary one. This presents the members who may be offended the opportunity to do so by reporting threads. This will give us all a better idea of what the community as a whole will tolerate and what you won’t. In retrospect, I should have brought forth this information sooner, but I did allude to it in my first post on this thread.

Much less editing is almost never a bad thing, but...there are times when edits are necessary and should be instantaneous of the time a moderator reads it. On a site that wants to have some family values and be a place for youg people to join and enjoy sharing the hobby, some things are off limits, and it should not take a comittee to resolve this issue. All mods are members first, IMO, and their views of what is offensive are just as valid as anyone elses, the only discussion necessary should be on borderline or gray areas.

I guess I take a more dictatorial view, edit, then pm and let the member know they were edited and why, possibly with a warning that further abuse of the UA will not be tolerated.

Access to this web site and use of the forums and other services offered here are subject to the terms and conditions of this user agreement

Reef Sanctuary reserves the right to refuse or revoke membership status to anyone for any reason, without explanation.

You agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind

While issues like this will come up from time to time, don't limit or harness your mods, trust them or get rid of them. You picked them cause they had certain attributes you felt exemplified what RS's mission is, again trust them.

As for anyone with a problem with a mod, let them know about it in private, and if the issue is not given the respect you felt it deserved, take it to an admin, if your issue is with an admin, take it to the other (we got two, no waiting ;) ). Mods, if you edit or move a thread (I personally am not a fan of asking for an edit, if it needs it do it!) have the decency to let that person know it was done and why, whether in the thread or in pm.

One question that has run through my mind for the last 15 pages, is..."Had this thread been moved within a day or two of it's starting point 1/12/04, would tthis have been the slightest of issues??" Somehow I doubt it, but who knows.

These opinions have been that of Kevin Riley and do not necessarily reflect the views of Reef Sanctuary or any of it's members.

Status
Not open for further replies.