Is this coral dying, if so what could be the cause?

ed84g

by2e6yva.jpg

I've had this in my tank for about 6 months. It's in a relatively strong flow ares with ok light. The top 2 heads still seem fine although they don't open like they used to. The bottom 2 haven't opened properly for a few weeks and tonight I noticed that the tentacles are looking very scraggly and like they are dying. Everything else including all corals and fish in the tank are fine and don't look any different.

I've still new to this hobby so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

ed84g

I meant to add this photo as well, it used to open up very big but the past week it has been like this.

7y9u3ypa.jpg

I'm a little concerned that somethis is wrong

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Are those mushrooms under that? What you may have is chemical warfare going on. you might attempt to seperate them. Its sometimes a pain, involving a chisle and hammer to physicaly break the rock. need more info on lighting and water params. water change schedule etc.

Till you nail down what the cause is, i'd consider some big water changes. 40% every 3 days for 9 days. If its chemical warfare, that will dilute whatever is. If its water params, that will help it too.

Many anem's require target feeding, or blanket feeding with baby brine shrimp or marine snow.

Haaileybop

Are those mushrooms under that? What you may have is chemical warfare going on. you might attempt to seperate them. Its sometimes a pain, involving a chisle and hammer to physicaly break the rock. need more info on lighting and water params. water change schedule etc.

Need more information about your water. How long have you had that particular coral for? I can't really tell from the photo, its a purple torch? They are super picky about flow, you may want to move it to a new spot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The first photo looks to be a torch coral. If so, they usually don't prefer high flow and like low-medium light. The second photo looks like a goniopora (flowerpot) coral. They can look great in a tank for some time and then just die off for no reason. That's just general information, hope it helps a bit. Good luck with them.

ed84g

Thanks for the info. None of them are touching anything so im not sure that it could be from touching another coral, do you think that something in the tank could have poisoned it from a distance without ever touching? Im trying the big water changes at the moment, have already done 20% and going to do another 20% tonight.

Generally, my water parameters are the same as they have always been aside from a small drop in pH by 0.2. Do you think that this could be enough to do this and how should i rectify it?

What would you recommend as a good coral food/supplement? Im using Red Sea Reef foundation A & B and also the Reef foundation ABC.

Thanks