Is Chemi Pure Elite and Purigen still the best way to go??

screemer

After my mammoth battle with Cyano and hair algae, we decided to ditch the Seagel and go with CPE ad the Purigen in a last ditch effort to get rid of it. In the last week we have noticed quite a big improvement esp wit hthe sand which must be down to the new Red Sea Pro salt. So do i go ahead and change to CPE or do i stick with the Seagel?? I like the ease of the Seagel in its own bag, and dont like the sound of the CPe making a mess in the tank and tying it to the media rack.

David Shaw

CPE comes in it's own media bag, Just rinse thoroughly through before putting into the media basket. I put my CPE on the bottom tray and pull it up through the holes in the second tray down and secure it so it hangs down for better water flow, rather than sitting on the bottom tray. Then put your SeaGel or Purigen on the second shelf in the same way, with some daily changed floss on the top shelf. Sorted.

David Shaw

I personally never found Purigen to be as effective as SeaGel.

There is a carbon content in CPE that will expire before the suggested renewal and replacement of it. As SeaGel also contains carbon as well as phosphate removers you cover an extra base by using it, as you would change the SeaGel more frequently than the CPE therefore always having a good active carbon filtration system in place.

If your combo of CPE and SeaGel is clearing your algae just stick with it, as it is obviously working great for you.

That is the combo i use. Small sized bag of CPE in the bottom tray, SeaGel middle tray and floss in the top replaced daily. I also have a second small sized bag of CPE that i put in the surface skimmer grate of the tank and clip onto one of the teeth, so the water flows through the bag but never blocks the grate as it is held in place away from the grate inlet itself by hooking the plastic tie over the teeth (see the pics in my thread).

Using 2 x small bags of CPE as opposed to 1 x large one, gives me max water levels at the rear of the tank. I found that the large bags of CPE in the media rack restricted the water flow for me too much.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
David - that comment about 2 small bags of CPE restricting flow less than a big bag makes a lot of sense.