Inyotef's RSM 250

Inyotef

Well, I thought I'd start a new reef tank thread like others are doing here and could continue to use some advice as I go along. As I'm waiting for the tank to be shipped, I've started purchasing other equipment in preparation for the setup. So far, I've purchased:

a Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S Maxxima 60 GPD RO/DI System
a JBJ Arctica 1/4 HP Titanium Aquarium Chiller
a Tunze osmolator universal 3155 ATO

What other types of equipment would others recommend? A refractometer? I've seen a lot of discussion about MP10's...is that a necessity?

In terms of substrate, what are the recommendations for how much and what type? I've seen a wide variety of options discussed here.

In addition, the next big thing will also be the addition of LR (or not)...recommendations on this as well? I'm leaning towards the Fiji or Tonga types, but I'm open to suggestions.

tnwillia

Great start! I'd get a refractometer, BRS has a nice one a low cost. MP10 can come later once you know the tank. You can get great Dry rock from BRS also (ECO rock) then seed the tank with one really good live rock from your LFS or on line. Looks like you've got everything you need to get started. Try running the tank stock plus your existing additions for 6 months then once you know the tank you can make changes from there. It also gives your wallet time to catch up to the next round! Have fun with it!

Refractometer for reading salinity w/ Free Calibration fluid - English

Saltwater Aquarium Fiji Dry Live Rock / Eco Rox | Bulk Reef Supply - English

Inyotef

Thanks for the suggestions. It's been awhile since I've had a reef tank up and running, but wouldn't it take much longer for coralline growth with just a few seed LR's? What sort of substrate would you recommend?

Inyotef

Thanks for the substrate recommendation, Glenn. The Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand looks great, but how many pounds would be needed for a RSM 250? I'm also looking at the Pukani Dry Rock from BRS for aquascaping purposes. That rock looks awesome and seems to get great reviews.

Inyotef

As I continue to gather equipment for my aquarium's arrival, I'm wondering if I should get an aquarium grounding probe? I'm reading conflicting information about whether these are helpful or not. Do others use one?

Inyotef

Well, I just received my Pukani dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply, and I have to say I'm impressed by the quality of the horde:

BRS Pukani Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English

I ordered 50 pounds of it for the tank, and I believe it's more than enough. I received about 10 medium to fairly large pieces for the setup. I asked for a couple of unique show pieces, and there was one mushroom shaped piece that I think is pretty cool and a very nice curved piece that will look nice in the front of the aquascape. There was more than enough, with some larger, flatter shelf type pieces as well. I'll have to take some pics soon.

I'm glad I went the dry rock route this time, so I don't have to worry about any pests getting into the tank at setup. Now, if I could only have my tank delivered soon :smack:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Call Amanda & ask her for the number to the freight company that is delivering & call them & get an exact ETA

what I did each time... on my two RSM tanks :dance: like waiting for Christmas

macor64

Great choice on the tank !!! All the guys on this thread know their stuff and I've leaned heavily on them, enjoying every bit of the experience so far. RO/DI is definitely the way to go. I used marco rock and seeded with a couple pieces of LR. Carib-Sea special grade reef sand...1 & 1/2 bags. Don't have mp10's....yet :)

I did get an apex controller and it is by far my favorite tank tool :)

Good luck....post some Pics of the build :)

Inyotef

It looks like my tank should be here next week. :yehoo:

Before I set it up for cycling, I'm wondering which of the methods below is the best way to go:

1) Aquascaping first (dry rock and sand), then adding water, salt, and deli shrimp

or

2) Water and salt first (cycle for a day or so), then aquascaping and deli shrimp.

It seems that approach #1 would be easiest, since adding the rock and sand after the saltwater has been cycling will displace a significant amount of water that needs to be removed. Thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
No "right" way.... I always went with 2

added do/di water, turned on heater & pumps, added salt, let mix for day, add sand, add rock (LR or Dry or Mix) wiggle down into the sand, add 2 deli shrimp - Very easy to bail or siphon out a few gallons if needed...

but if you want to mix the salt water 1st (not in the tank - you only get this option once on a new tank - to mix salt in the tank) you could do that for sure too and then add it.

Inyotef

My RSM 250 is scheduled to be delivered Monday...yeah!

In the meantime, I hooked up my Kent Marine RO/DI system with dual inline TDS monitor today--which was quite a feat for someone who is both mechanically and plumbing challenged. Looks like it is working properly so far.

Is it safe to store RO/DI water for a period of time?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Yes sealed, I store mine for two weeks all the time, I have stored it up to 6 weeks - congrats on the new unit !

Post us some pics of the new tank !

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Two things. Ya check out the mp10 or 40s it's a wonderful combo. But whoa. What's this aquarium grounding plug?

Matt leaves out punctuation.

Inyotef

Finally the aquarium was delivered today! :woohoo: I haven't started assembly or unboxing it yet, but I noticed on the box it says "New and improved pumps." What's the story behind that?