Improve Water Quality - Sump vs. Canister Filter

Reef Drifter

I have some difficulties to perform surface skimming and remove debris from my RSM 130 . When I increase the level of filter inlet grill to improve the surface skimming, the efficiency of the stock protein skimmer will drop significantly due to lower water level in the back compartment. I am thinking to add either a sump/refugium or canister filter to improve on the water quality. I prefer an overflow system (i.e. lifereef) to the canister filter as this will allow me to build a denitrator by using deep sand in the sump/refugium and at the same time I can add another Tunze 9002 Skimmer in the sump/refugium. ..... any advice ?

VP Clown

I have some difficulties to perform surface skimming and remove debris from my RSM 130 . When I increase the level of filter inlet grill to improve the surface skimming, the efficiency of the stock protein skimmer will drop significantly due to lower water level in the back compartment. I am thinking to add either a sump/refugium or canister filter to improve on the water quality. I prefer an overflow system (i.e. lifereef) to the canister filter as this will allow me to build a denitrator by using deep sand in the sump/refugium and at the same time I can add another Tunze 9002 Skimmer in the sump/refugium. ..... any advice ?

What I found best was to get the level right in the display area, and if that means raising the weir and retaining water in the display side then it would obviously drop in the filter side. Simply then top this side up to the correct level, you have now got the correct level in the tank.
HTH Andy

aramis

I had the same problem with my 250 Reef Drifter. To maximize the stock skimmer I had to have the gate down to get enough water into the back chamber - but at this setting I would always see a haze on the surface. On the other hand, if I raised the gate to allow better surface skimming, the protein skimmer was adversly affected. I ended up removing the stock skimmer and putting a LifeReef overflow/prefilter in its place and a sump/skimmer combo in my cabinet. Here's a link to some photos of my setup:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/51898-my-rsm-250-set-up.html

mbdave

Ditto I use a sump with the LR overflow, the difference being I have a 10 gallon tank for a sump with a series of diverters siliconed in to develope a refugium, a filter sock in the return, and a coralife skimmer. If you can afford the LR sump its a nice way to go the guy makes nice equipment I would have bought one but I plan on upgrading when I move.
Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

mbdave

Drops light penetration some thats one of the reasons for the clear surface better light penetration and also lots of organics up there.

Spikewire

I've seen a number of folks, including myself, have one of our pumps pointing up to break the surface of the water for oxygenation purposes. Do you think this constant surface rippling has an affect on the lighting?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
only to the added height of the ripple, I would think... the main reason not just oxygenation purposes, but to help in surface skimming... which is good, any scum on the surface... would reduce light... I would think... :)

Reef Drifter

Has anyone tried to replace the existing circulating pumps with a bigger capacity so that suction of water can be increased when filter inlet grill is fully open? I think it might work but yet to test it out!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Reef Drifter

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary & the rsm club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I have the 130D so it a bit different... I am still running stock... sure some others can offer some advise...

Have you added the new 130D surface skimmer upgrade? lots 130 owners really like it...

Reef Drifter

I have some difficulties to buy the upgrade kit online as all of the online stores that I come across do not sell it internationally other than U.S.A and Canada.

Reef Drifter

nz1989reefer I live in Malaysia, South East Asia. Apparently, the support rendered by Redsea by the Asia Pacific division to the local authorised dealer is not very satisfactory. Do you know of any online stores which will ship internationally ?

mbdave

Ahh Malaysia! Next trip to the Philippines I must go there and dive. Have you tried to get the part through Hong Kong Reef Drifter? You might have success there.
Have you also tried Thailand? Red Sea MAX | Contact us

Good Luck in locating the skimmer!!
Dave

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reef Drifter - here's a late welcome........
welcome2.gif

Be careful if you go with a cannister - some of us tried them, and the sponges can turn into big nitrate generators, even with a weekly cleaning. It would probably be best to leave the sponges out and still do a weekly rinse of whatever media is kept in them.

Reef Drifter

Thanks for the hospitality and advice. While waiting for my Surface Skimmer to arrive in the middle of next month with the help of Pinky, I am planning to create a sump/refugium for my Max with a lifereef pre-filter (overflow). Currently just doing some research before finalising on the design..