ID help please

Rekkie

Hi All,

Any chance that someone may know any of the below? I am upgrading to a RSM 250 next week and dont want to move any un wanted nasties that would hurt future corals.

The crab is around 4 cm and there is a 6 cm one that i cant seem to photgraph.

The sponge and the red hairy thing came with the cured live rock around a month or so ago.

The little purple thing moves around the rock but have searched high and low but cant find what it is.

The gell has been like that for around 8 months and grows slowly.

Attachments

• DSC_6283.jpg
    DSC_6283.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_6319.jpg
    DSC_6319.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_6278.jpg
    DSC_6278.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_6454.jpg
    DSC_6454.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_6460.jpg
    DSC_6460.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 175

ReefLady

Staff member
You should assume the crabs are bad... the hitchhikers almost ALWAYS are.

I can't make out what's in the first pic, but 2 and 3 are harmless sponge/tunicate type things and the last pic looks like a cool gorgonian or nonphotosynthetic coral.

Rekkie

Hi Travis thanks for the reply in the first picture the animal has a sort of armoured shell that i assume allows the it to roll up in a ball and it also has a moving foot underneath this. I will set a trap for the crabs before i move some of the live rock into the RSM or leave it in its rock as i will keep the old tank as a quarentine tank while i stock to RSM for the first 4 months or so and then catch them and take them to the LFS.

Rekkie

Hi sasquatch many thanks my wife and I have been searching for quite some time now and we have all our questions answered in less than 10 minutes :) We was keen to keep him, i just hope he stays off the corals once they are in, do you know how big it may get?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
some get as big as 1 foot lol, that one? maybe as big as a quarter? some have incredible color most are kinda dull and yes you can eat them

Uslanja

Very cool photos and hitch hikers!! We go against the flow and keep all of our crabs. The worst they have done (so far?) is knocked things around. We try to keep everything alive!!

tektite

That is an awesome looking chiton! I love my fuzzy chitons, algae eating machines :) Not anywhere near as pretty as that one though. Great photos!

The tan thing under the orange sponge looks like it may be a type of bryozoan colony.

I'm curious what the red thing will grow into. It doesn't quite look like foraminifera, probably have to watch it grow to ID it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think the "Red Thing" looks a LOT like this Red Chili Coral
Scientific Name
Alcyonium sp.

Common Name
Chili Coral, Chili Sponge, Red Finger

Ironically some call a Chili Coral Nephthyigorgia sp so which that one is I don't have a clue. Here are some pics of "variations" of Chili Coral

images

Here's another image of one
chilicoral1.jpg

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Look like some type of coral, that pic is to poor. It is not a tunicate as they do not have radial star symmetry.

Rekkie

Hi All,

Many thanks for the help with the ID. The live rock is picked in Karratha Western Australia by the LFS they are getting more this weekend and i will be picking up another 10Kgs or so. The other day they were shipping most of their coral to the States.

I though the (radial star symmetry) for lack of a better word might be smaller ones of the coral on the bottom right of this image as there were a few on the base of it.

DSC_6855.jpg

Last edited: