Ian's Jumping In Feet First RSM 250

I know, I know... but I am thinking that maybe having it set up in the same room with 20K worth of computer equipment and over 100K of photography equipment might not have been the BEST idea.

I am still shaking!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I know, I know... but I am thinking that maybe having it set up in the same room with 20K worth of computer equipment and over 100K of photography equipment might not have been the BEST idea.

I am still shaking!

Sounds like u need to add another room to the house :D

.............I'm feeling salty.

catran

More updates... yay!

OK, so I got my Apex in and set up. WOW! I didn't even realize the little bits of added stress I was dealing with. Turn on the lights, turn off the lights, kill the pumps and skimmer for feeding, turn 'em back on, did I remember to turn them all on again... All gone. Once my lights are in and added I will be in pig heaven!

I added chaeto and a small fuge light (hooked up to the Apex to run at night... F YEAH!) that are in the top section of the media basket. Seems to be helping with the phosphates.

I just dosed for the second time with Prodibio. I'm not sure if it is the Prodi but my corals are looking amazing!
View attachment 22624

View attachment 22626

View attachment 22627

View attachment 22628

So here is an issue I am having. Particulates and micro-bubbles.
I have filtering up the wazoo, but I am getting mb from the right pump. I have filter floss for polishing in the right chamber above the pump intake and I am running chemi-pure and perigen in the media basket under the chaeto.
Any 250 owners have any suggestions?

Wow, those corals are so bright and colorful! Nice job dude!

I love reefers...

cdavmd

Well....well....well.....you've been busy my young Jedi! Just read your thread.....now i see why I hadn't heard from you in a while ;)

Things look good, the corals are clearly thriving and I'm glad you have gone slow with the fish additions and that you started using a quarantine tank. LOVE! the AI Lights you got....really brings out the colors in your pictures!

A couple comments and questions....how the hell did you get caulerpa in the tank...was it on the rock he sold you? I'd really make an effort of getting it out of there...very few critters really eat that stuff and it has the potential to completely take over ...think Hair algae on steroids!!

Tangs as you were told are a headache. Most come or get ICK at some point or another...they need constant grazing....they poop all the time...and get big. Most need a lot of room to swim. I like your choice of fish so far...I'd stick along those lines.

Funny you were setting up a sump! I also had the day to myself yesterday and finally set up a sump on my original 36 gallon corner bow tank! The space under is so small that I never thought I would fit anything under there. Well I talked to trigger systems and they custom made me a nice sump to fit the space.....so a couple trips to Home depot, some PVC and cement and a few hours of plumbing and I now have a sump. Finally I can get rid of my hang on back skimmer and refugium and move all the probes to the sump. So the Deltec skimmer will be up for sale and I've replaced it with an SWC Cone skimmer.....love it...starting to pull some real gunk out! Regarding the check valve....I wouldn't trust it....they have been known to fail. In addition if you can make a hole in the return about a half inch below the waterline in the display, this will break the siphon if the power fails.

Good luck Ian, I'll be checking in periodically. Nice work on your tank!
Carlos

Micro bubbles are normal if this is a new sump....also your skimmer is it new? Will also create micro bubbles for a time.

Hey Carlos!
My caulerpa came from a couple of the rocks that I got with the tank. It was a minimally invasive variety but, yeah it was starting to take off. I got two Sally Lightfoot crabs and it is almost completely gone. It's funny because it goes like magic, one minute it's there and the next it's gone. I do think the crabs are going to spawn soon since they have staked out a little cave and take turns guarding it.

I plan on adding a yasho goby/tiger pistol pair later and I am thinking about three small tiger anthias since they don't get huge. I want something that adds a little constant motion to the tank (that isn't chromis) since my wrasse and firefish spend half the day in hiding.

It's funny but I spent almost the entire night awake worrying about leaks and floods. I woke up and came in to the office to find everything is A-OK and the water looks amazing in the tank. Bubbles gone, most of the particulates are cut way down, corals look very happy.

I think I might even be able to handle going on vacation without a nervous breakdown.

Good to hear about your tank and sump, but where are the photos? Where is the tank thread dude?

cdavmd

LOL....I hear ya.....I must have turned mine on and off a dozen times last night before marking final fill lines etc......I don't see how I could flood unless a snail covers both holes on the return!

Never been very active on this forum....guess I'll have to post some pics!

I have to figure out the best way to make that hole. Since my return is plumbed in to the RSM 250 lines it will be in the back and a pain to get to.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ian, do you have a anti siphon hole somewhere in the return line?

I am going to put one in goma... right now I am waiting for it to settle down so I can find the ideal point on the hose for the siphon break.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
OK good, if you lose power between now and then you need to disconnect a line so you don't overflow the sump.

cdavmd

....i see you're getting the same advice....check valves suck.....once you have your water levels where you want them:

Make a hole in the return line 1/2 inch below your display water line....I used a 1/4 inch drill bit, but if the hose is thin plastic a screwdriver will also do it. I also like to make a second hole below this one in case a snail is over one of the holes (insurance).

Then turn off the sump pump and as the water back-siphons to the sump the display water level will drop exposing the hole which will suck in air and break the siphon.

At this point fill your sump up with extra water to your preference. I like it close to the top to avoid having to refill with fresh water so often (evaporation). Turn the pumps back on and wait until the levels stabilize. Then mark your sump water level with a piece of tape or permanent marker-NEVER fill beyond this line and you should be ok in the event of a power failure.

Also look at your "U" tube and make sure there are no bubbles getting caught and accumulating at the top which might break the siphon at some point, any bubbles should flow right through, if not you might need a stronger pump or open any valves you might have inline.

If you set things up this way you should not have any problems in the event of a power failure.

Carlos