I went to fast - lessoned learned

AJK

Hi fish friends,
My damsel is still doing fine. But, I did a lot of reading over the weekend on the importance of live sand/rock. I had no idea how important live rock is !! And the reason, live rock should be cured/cycled, with daily water test to track progress. All I thought was important was water quality. Now, I understand the cycling process, and how it differs from fw tanks

:hammerhea I deserve it.

Wish I would have read all the info, before I started. Basic newbie mistake. Now, I'm thinkin what if I rushed into my 120 gal sw reef tank project, disaster would have eventually occured.

I have read, cycling new tanks with live rock is fine, but also know now why? livestock would suffer (technically),. So, now I have to do some serious water adjustments in the next few weeks. LFS - no refund on fish, no returns. Don't know if LFS will hold fish for me, thinking of purchasing a 10 gal just to keep fish safe till cycle process is over or some serious water testing. Will update progress.

AJK

Water test result - Jungle 5 n 1 strips
Nitrate - 20 ppm
Alkalinity - 300 ppm
Ph - 7.4

Doc wellfish ammonia test - 0

Time for weekly water change. Proceeding to week 3

DaveK

Don't feel too bad. You learned form you mistakes.

If it's any consolation, just about every reef keeper that has been doing this any length of time has made major mistakes that crashed there system.

I think I have made just about every mistake that is possible. However, some of this was before such knowledge was available, so they couldn't be helped.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi AJK. Even though you're late learning about cycling, if you used cured rock without a lot of die-off, you may be fine. The strip tests are not highly accurate, and I'm not familiar with the Doc Wellfish tests, but that zero ammonia and the damsel doing well are an indication that you may be OK. Be very careful adding any additional fish and only add one or two at a time & start tracking ammonia, nitrites & nitrates after any future fish addition. The nitrogen cycle bacteria need a chance to multiply in/on the rock after each fish, to keep up with the increased ammonia bio-load from new fish. You might think about getting some other test kits that are more accurate - maybe API or Salifert. Don't overstock or overfeed!

catran

Maybe they will hold them or try another LFS? Or, maybe they can give you water from their tanks to use in a holding tank...
Don't worry, it will be over soon!

AJK

Don't feel too bad. You learned form you mistakes.

If it's any consolation, just about every reef keeper that has been doing this any length of time has made major mistakes that crashed there system.

I think I have made just about every mistake that is possible. However, some of this was before such knowledge was available, so they couldn't be helped.

Hi Dave,
Thanks friend, we learn from our mistakes, I alway's believed mistakes lead to success :) Mine has alway's been impatience.

Maybe they will hold them or try another LFS? Or, maybe they can give you water from their tanks to use in a holding tank...
Don't worry, it will be over soon!
Unfortunately, I live in a small town with only one LFS and 1 petsmart. I'd have to go out of town 30-60 miles for next local LFS. Previous owner used to hold my fw fish, when I went out of town, once or twice a year. I developed a friendhship with them over the years. LFS do not want to take responsibility for any fish.

AJK

Hi AJK. Even though you're late learning about cycling, if you used cured rock without a lot of die-off, you may be fine.
Hi Terry,
Thanks friend. The LFS assured me the rocks were cured, but I've read cured rocks can die in new tanks, then start a new cycle (50/50). Each time, I take water sample to LFS, they tell me water is doing well. Reason I bought Damsel. Many Tx cities in US poll, were rated top 10 best water source, which is good news. I'm using RO water now, although I start with tap.

The strip tests are not highly accurate, and I'm not familiar with the Doc Wellfish tests
I bought Doc wellfish from Petsmart. Company is American pharmaceutical. Will look for better test kits in the future.

but that zero ammonia and the damsel doing well are an indication that you may be OK.
Damsel appears to be doing fine. Not planning to add any more fish for a few more weeks. One thing I do have patience with is, adding fish. My 120 gal fw tank, has 1 Oscar and approx 10 other variety fish, for approx 3 years. I alway's believed fish do well, with plenty of space to swim. I'm only going to keep 4 sw fish max, in my 26 gal, people tend to forget how big fish grow. Most tank problems occur from overstocking, and poor filteration :)

steved13

PREMIUM
AJK, Very good to hear that you're learning. It takes a big person to admit a mistake and own up to it...much respect for that. As Terry said...you and your damsel may have dodged a bullet and you won't see a big spike. If you believe you are headed for a spike it might be worth it to give the damsel away, even back to the LFS, rather than torturing it. They are not that expensive anyway, and as long as it goes to a good home no harm done. You also might find you'd rather have something different as you learn more about your choices. I'm not saying you must or even should...that's your choice, but I've noticed many people don't even think of giving it away, so I thought I'd mention it.

Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice here.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it's actually Aquarium Pharmaceutical (API), rather than American pharmaceutical, then the Doc Wellfish may be API - good test kits at a good price.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
AJK, Very good to hear that you're learning. It takes a big person to admit a mistake and own up to it...much respect for that. As Terry said...you and your damsel may have dodged a bullet and you won't see a big spike. If you believe you are headed for a spike it might be worth it to give the damsel away, even back to the LFS, rather than torturing it. They are not that expensive anyway, and as long as it goes to a good home no harm done. You also might find you'd rather have something different as you learn more about your choices. I'm not saying you must or even should...that's your choice, but I've noticed many people don't even think of giving it away, so I thought I'd mention it.

Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice here.

Very well said and I totally agree. It takes a big man to come back here and say that. KUDOS to you!!

You may want to read up on Damsels and learn REALLY why they are called DAMsels to begin with LOL!

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

Yeah, you maye want to take that little fish back to the LFS anyway. They are mean little suckers and very territorial. The should not be added as the first fish for a setup because they will harrass fish added after them. You should usually add the most aggressive fish last. You will have trouble adding more fish with that damsel already there.

AJK

Hi friends,
Thanks for feedback. It's going to be awhile, before I can add more fish. Still need to purchase RO/DI unit, clean up crew and stabilize tank. When, I'm ready to purchase clown's, I'll have a qt tank set up for Damsel. My friend has a damsel, that constantly attack other fish. One fish is losing it's tail.

So far my damsel is doing well :) I did 10% water change, but tests results still the same, after 24 hours.