I wanna see full tank shots!

Craig Manoukian

One more. Need to get rid of the flash reflection and increase the shutter speed.

12Full_Tank_Shot_III_12-05-04_003-med.jpg

CAT

This is my new 'miracle' tank. It survived a 1000+ mile move (2 days driving) then a 40 hour power outage in freezing weather only one month later. Who says marine critters are sissys :D

Attachments

• new tank med comp.jpg
    new tank med comp.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Looks awesome craig !
I also have one and on the advice of several people I removed it from the substrate and put it on the rock and this is what happened:(

130_3012.jpg

Attachments

• 7329129_2999-med.jpg
    7329129_2999-med.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 51

Maxx

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
One more. Need to get rid of the flash reflection and increase the shutter speed.

12Full_Tank_Shot_III_12-05-04_003-med.jpg
Craig,
Travis can certainly give you pointers on that...
I like to use one of a couple of different methods.

You can buy a flash diffuser...this basically a translucent (as opposed to clear) plastic cap that slips over the front of your flash and reduces the glare caused by the flash. However it also reduces your flashes output so you need to adjust your flash accordingly. Either increase the intensity of the flash, the duration of the flash, or the easiest way is to increase the length of time the shutter is open, (use a slower shutter speed). This will require a tri pod and ont allow you a sharp image of anything moving.

You can buy an off camera flash bracket and a sync cord. This moves the flash a couple (like 6) inches above the camera. The flash sits on the sync cord which is attached to the camera's hot shoe, (where the flash screws in on the camera) this may help.

Finally, you can try and use the sync cord, (preferably a long one...and I dont know if canon sells more than one length of sync cord...mine is about 3 feet all stretched out) and hold the flah in your hand off to the side and bounce the flash across the tank but off at an angle. This will require some playing around on your part to make sure you get the correct angle and actually light up the tank like you want.....but it is the easiest way to use your own flash....

You can also use multiple sources of light to illuminate the tank from both sides of the tank.....this will guarentee you dont have a flash blur in the shot...but might screw your white balance up if the supplemental lights are not the same color balance as your tank...and I seriously doubt they will be. Bottom line...keep playing with that camera Craig...you'll get it.
Nick

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Awesome clams!

Nice tankS Craig! Hummm.. i wonder if I could find room for one more aquarium??? hehehe

Good job ReefGeek!

Cool nano P2BC, It will have it full of life very soon!