i think my green elegance coral is dying PLEASE HELP!

3725sam

Hi everyone, i really need some help, in the last week my green elegance coral has started to look really wierd, shrivelling up and closing up and i think it might be dying. it has been in our tank two months and i have never seen it look like this before. Since its arrival we have done nothing different we haven't added anything except the orange soft corals and our water changes and tests always seem to be normal. the hermit crabs started climbing on it today and i hear thats a bad sign, PLEASE HELP ME to save this beautiful coral, im so sad that it seems to be struggling! any info you have will help, thanks so much, Sam x

Doogle

You might have trouble posting a pic but that would be a good start and a reading of all tank perameters. Welcome to RS

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do a large wc (50%) n add carbon. Provide the elegance shade less sun is better. These r a tough coral to keep. I'm guessing u have a young tank?

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

dmatt88

Mods can u merge threads?

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

lethal

I had one that did the same thing for no apparent reason. I think they are pretty hard to keep.

PIMPALA

Welcome to the "I used to have a beautiful elegance coral" Club. There are many, many members.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Welcome to the "I used to have a beautiful elegance coral" Club. There are many, many members.

Fortunately few of them join the "I bought another beautiful Elegance Coral" club. This coral has a VERY dismal survival rate in our glass boxes.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Here one :read: https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/catalaphyllia(elegancecoral)

sad to say... I lost mine too after a year... agree they do seem to be difficult, one of the few I have lost

DaveK

Fortunately few of them join the "I bought another beautiful Elegance Coral" club. This coral has a VERY dismal survival rate in our glass boxes.

Strangely enough, this was not always the case. In the early days of reef keeping, when trickle filters were the state of the are, elegance was expensive, but usually did well. There have been various theories advanced as to why it's now considered difficult. I will list some of them.

The elegance collected today is from much deeper waters and a different type.
Reef systems back then didn't filter the water as pure as we do today, and usually had a lot more nitrates and other "food" stuff in it.
Reef systems back then used much less circulation, and used much less light.
The coral is often not placed correctly in the tank.
The coral is not fed correctly.
The coral is out competed by the corals we keep today, chemical warfare and such.

Personally, I can't point to any combination of the above reasons that would deem to give a definitive answer. You can do everything "correctly" and the coral can still fail. Of course, if we were really doing things correctly, the coral would thrive.