I think I have cyano algae please help

In my frag tank there is this redish brown algae that grows on my brown star polyps and my green ones. It only grows on them and is killing them. It has strands that come off and sway with the current and there are bubbles trapped in a lot of it. I pull as much off as I can but it comes back. I was told to cut down on the lighting so I am doing that but is there anything I can put in the tank that will eat it?

You can use a quick fix product like Chemi-Clean to kill the algae, but realize that the algae is there because of poor water conditions. Measure all your parameters and do a few large water changes to fix the problem. And don't overfeed your fish!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You can use a quick fix product like Chemi-Clean to kill the algae, but realize that the algae is there because of poor water conditions. Measure all your parameters and do a few large water changes to fix the problem. And don't overfeed your fish!

Keep in mind that using "Quick Fixes" usually will lead to bigger problems down the road. Currently some people are test a theory that using these "Chemical" fixes are leading to more "Resistant" strains.

Your best bet is to get a positive ID on the problem and start fixing the root cause ASAP.

wm23oh

I was looking at your past posts and wasn't able to determine exactly what size tank you have your frags in and if they are alone or with fish. Was this tank treated when you had ick?

Water quality issues tend to be the reason for most algae issues. Even if your parameters are normal I highly recommend doing 2 10-20% W/C per week until the issue goes away and highly recommend keeping the light on as you normally would as it will keep from stressing your frags. You can use a turkey baster or a feeding syringe to blow the algae off the area and I highly recommend you do this every day until it is gone. Just make sure you vacuum as much as possible of the blown off algae from the frags when doing a water change.

Where are you getting your water from? Is it RO/Distilled?

I had cyano for about a week appear on one of my rocks and a couple W/C's while doing what I said above fixed the issue.

Best wishes,

thank guys I got it out of my 55 gallon tank by siphoning it out and it hasnt grown back. It just went away on its own in my 10 gallon frag tank which im really happy with. The little peices stuck on the rock today went away after adding my new powerheads. So thanks for the help everybody.