I think I have amphipods; Good or Bad

Angelus

I have noticed a huge population of these little clear creatures first withnen my live rock, but this morning as I was doing a top off in my sump, I turned on my flashlight (didnt want to disturb the fish), and to my surprise the sponge that is rite before my return pump, is filled with these things, they seem to be in all the crevises... Now Im doing my next water change this weekend, and thats when I really Squeeze out the sponge, should I release these guys back in the tank, or let them down the drain.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Pods are you friends and a very needed part of the whole eco-system we are striving to create.

Last months edition of "Coral Magazine" had an EXCELLENT write up of pods and how beneficial they really are. I highly suggest that magazine to anyone who is interested in the long term health and well-being of your tanks :)

Say YES to Pods!! :D

wonderloss

I would let the go, either back into the sump or into the display. They are scavengers, and they are food for the fish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Don't go over board on it but if it's easy and convenient let them go BACK into your system. If you peek at night you'll almost always see a HUGE amount of pod activity. They are indeed night time scavengers and fun to watch.

ScubaDrew

Just make sure they don't have eyes like my friends below:

IMG_0160.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Drew, keep your pets on the spaceship please!:alien: Or is that an escapee from area 51?