I officially dont understand corals

Kovu

I moved my frogspawn an inch from where it was, it wasn't looking to hot, came back home tonight to find it all out and happy again. Apparently it like the knew spot more.

DaveK

Corals are funny things to keep and can succeed or fail, sometimes for reasons that are not clear. Xenia is typical of this trait. For some it grows like a weed and is a problem, for others it just will not grow for them.

A lot of people here have that one coral that is supposed to be very easy to grow, but they just can't seem to get it to live for them.

A small move can make a big difference in lighting, water flow, food supply and so on.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Corals are funny things to keep and can succeed or fail, sometimes for reasons that are not clear. Xenia is typical of this trait. For some it grows like a weed and is a problem, for others it just will not grow for them.

A lot of people here have that one coral that is supposed to be very easy to grow, but they just can't seem to get it to live for them.

A small move can make a big difference in lighting, water flow, food supply and so on.

+1 Corals are not entirely predictable. Ive tried Xenia 4 times. I have excelent lighting and good parameters, but every time i introduce it, it fades away. Kenya Tree on the other hand Grows like a weed. Im giving away frags of it every month. Some say Xenia and Kenya Trees are similar in that they are good indicaters of water parameters. Some systems they like, some they dont. I have coral in my tank that grows slow when it shouldnt, I have some that grows fast when it shouldnt. Coral care isnt a science. Its entirely trial and error. I have a BTA in my 65. It keeps going under rocks to hide from the light, but takes food like its starving. I move it to another tank with the same type of lights and its out and happy, but rarely accepts food.

Easiest way to think of it is, coral are living creatures. No 2 even of the same species will always act the same even in the same tank. You can have a coral for months and it'll be perfectly happy and growing, then for no discernable reason fade away almost overnight. the description and care instructions that come with a particular coral are only guidelines. I have a supposes low light mushroom that withers in a shaded spot, but puffs out and looks happy under direct light. The Normal behavior of MOST of a species are whats put in the instructions for care. That is not guarantee that it will apply to your specimen, its just a place to start.

jadams

My hammer coral has been moved to 4 different spots and does the best in one certain place. I guess he has marked his territory...lol