I need a reliable heater asap !!

AJK

Hi, think my heater is not working properly. With adjustable knob at lowest setting, tank temps are approx 80 - 82 degrees, when I unplug the heater from outlet, temps dropped to 72.5,. So basically, when heater kicks on, it's heating too much. If I turn knob midway, temps nearly hit 90,. Unless I unplug heater from outlet, will not decrease below 80,. Top of dial does not have temp reading, just pyramid settings.

Salinity is staying stable at 1.023,.

I have a Topfin 100 watt for 29 gal bowfront. LFS (franchise) carry Topfin & Aqueon. I just called non franchise LFS, they have Hydor and stealth pro heaters ?

Should I get 150 watt ?

I bought glass and digital thermometer, wanted to make sure temps were correct.

Thanks for any assistance.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think all of the Stealth Pros back to 2004 were just recently recalled by Marineland - possible overheating and fire and explosion hazards. I'd avoid those, even if they are still in the LFS inventory. I just replaced my older Stealth Pro with an Eheim Jager. I tried a Hydor a few years ago and it overheated right out of the box.

AJK

Hi Terry, thanks for info. I've been reading heater reviews and just discovered, someone posting stealth pro exploded. YIKES !!! Hydor recieved negative reviews, inaccurate temp readings.

But, found another post, someone had same exact problem as I'm having with Topfin, they purchased a lower watt heater, problem solved. Think, I'll give that a try. A 50 watt instead of 100,.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome! Good luck with the lower wattage - hopefully that will solve your problem!

AJK

Terry, getting ready to visit petstore. Petco has EHEIM Jager 5 star review. Think I will try the jagar heater. One thing about Topfin is, print material on the heater flakes off, will update on Jagar peformance.

pdawg

I have a Fluval E digital heater, they run a little pricey but mine were definately worth it, I have 3 right now.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
pdawg

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

AJK

Hi pdawg,
Petsmart didn't have Eheim heater. Bummer !! But, I almost picked up a fluval, and yes they are expensive, and so was the Aqueon pro, I purchased. Aqueon was $10.00 less. As long as they perform efficiently, I'm happy. All, I know at the moment is, Topfin 100 watt is not working correctly.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Let us know how the Aqueon Pro does after you give it some time and adjustments if needed.

AJK

Hi Terry,
Surely will provide feedback on Aqueon pro. Since it was more expenisve heater with temp dial, I bought 100 watt, if tank get's too hot on 68 degree setting, will try 50 watt. It's difficult keeping anything cool in Tx summer heat, especially homes. But, got my fingers crossed this works. Thanks for all your help/encouragement.

AJK

Hi Terry,
Good news and bad. The Aqueon heater was doing well, kept water temp consistent at 78, each hour I checked, with ac on or not. Just went into the room, not checking for approx 3 hours. My tank temp was 90.3 !!! So I turned temp dial to 68, the heater would not turn off. So, I unplugged it. Another one bites the dust, need to take it in for replacement tomorrow, put the TopFin back in, 82 is better then 90.

I'm in the tank cycling phase, and I can't get a heater to work correctly, hopefully I don't have to start over, that would be a bummer.

Okay now, this is interesting went to my 120gal freshwater tank, and the heater is an Aqueon 300 watt, worked without a problem for 3 years.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Gee whiz - Sorry about another heater acting up! Hopefully the 90.3 won't prolong the cycle. Maybe get the credit towards a Fluval?

AJK

Thanks friend, just my bad luck. Just my luck it has to be Sunday, when LFS close early.

Terry or anyone know if 90 degree temps, will affect cycling, so I do not have to post another question. Wonder what safe heater parimeters are for cycling tanks ? What I mean is, doesn't sand/rock have to die first, before bacterial bloom begins ? And how long can live sand/rock sustain high/low temps ? Been cycling exactly a week, with inconsistent temps, thanks to bad heaters.
Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good question, but not sure I have an answer. 90 might possibly kill off some life forms on the rock, which could generate ammonia and lengthen the cycle, but that's just a guess.

AJK

This sucks !! I was off to a happy new saltwater tank, and nothing is going right. May ditch the whole project and start freshwater again, much easier.