I Have A Dilemma- Does Anyone Know.........

miaskies

Ok, so here's the problem. I just purchased 2 peppermint shrimp from petco because they are the only place near me that has them and I need them for apstasia. The tank next to their tank that runs on the same filter system had a fish with a bad case of ich. Can I freshwater dip the shrimp before putting them in my tank to avoid possibly introducing ich to my system? Also, do those things really control aipstasia, cuz I got a bad case of them. Thanks

mikejrice

No you can't FW dip shrimp. They are very sensitive to salinity changes. They can be a little hit and miss with aptasia, but I have had good luck with them eating it. Before adding them take a look at some pictures online of peppers and camel shrimp. Be sure before you add them that they are indeed peppers. Camels will eat coral.

flyline

i have had aptasia problems in the past a have bought pepermint shrimp and they did nothing to control them but i hear they are hit and miss some will eat them some wont hope this helps

Feed less to your tanks and the shrimp will get hungry. i add 2 to my 24 gal tank at work that had hundreds of the little buggers and it took like a month for 2 to get rid of all the aptasia. I have not ever seen ich attach shrimp. I had a big out break in my 700 gal system and lost a lot of fish but did not lose any shrimp. hope this helps

bearpeidog

+1 with ShaperMike. I've had two outbreaks of Aptasia and each time Pepperments were the answer (tried Joe's juice etc.)

I would have taken some of the water out of my tank, put them in that and do that about 5 times...then put them in my tank...just to clean them off a little bit. Mine seem to be doing their job on keeping those under control. But you can also get that paste and use that.

mikejrice

I would have taken some of the water out of my tank, put them in that and do that about 5 times...then put them in my tank...just to clean them off a little bit. Mine seem to be doing their job on keeping those under control. But you can also get that paste and use that.

Agree, they may not have ich, but any water on them sure does.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Shrimp can't "get" ich but anything could carry one stage of it accidentally. IMHO an Ich tank is off-limits and a bad practice to sell from. VERY bad! Not even a net or anything that's been in a known ICH infected tank should come into contact with your existing tank.

:nono: :nono:

magnum

I had a peppermint that was great until it started attacking my featherduster and coco worm. I hear it is very rare but it can happen. I would do it again if I had an outbreak but they are tuff to get out once their in. I had to move him to my FOWLR tank. Mine has lots of personality and will eat out of my hand.