i have a curious 250 lighting question

anewguy

I'm just wondering if anybody has checked the par on the rsm 250? More specifically, wondering if that single reflector is really good enough to grow sps. I've had some sps for about a year now,all params are stable, i have 5 fish that are well fed, i use vodka for low nutrients, i feed zooplankton and aminos every other day, i change 15 gallons a week with reef crystals, lights on 9 hours a day using ati and kz bulbs-were on for 10, then went down to 8 and my lps got darker which was good but my sps didnt change, ive whispered sweet nothings, lit candles and danced neked around the tank on tuesdays- ok, joking about the last two. So after reading alot about t5s being more effective using single polished reflectors, I've started to wonder if that is my problem.incase it comes up, i have not been doing anything to the tank in about three months figuring that maybe my tinkering was messing something up-still no change. Maybe I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Check out reggie's sps coral pics... under stock RSM 250 t'5 & growing great... my RSM 250 just got some sps corals & I am hoping for similar results

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here reggie's

1ff27296.jpg

anewguy

Thanks for the link. I've been reading Reggie's thread for a bit-up to page 62 now. His tank is actually the one that has me thinking about mine. It is incredible. I'll keep reading and maybe I'll come up with something.

reeferman

thanks guys.sps can definitely be kept in a stock 250.i believe flow is as important to sps as light is.acroporas require excellent water quality.not only low nutrient but VERY steady params.if you are to get the most color,growth and polyp extension out of acroporas then those requirements should be met.high quality bulbs are a big plus but the stock rsm bulbs are decent bulbs.nowhere near as good as ati,giesemann,kz,etc. but they can do the job.im really glad and proud that my tank is brought up when the talk turns to sps as it was a goal of mine to debunk the myth that rsm 250 cant grow difficult acroporas and i think im doing a pretty good job.anyone can grow them as long as high light,high flow and excellent water quality is maintained.they are really worth the extra care as they are the most beautiful corals,imo!

anewguy

Thank you Reggie for adding. I have some questions for you about your tank, but I think it best to add to your thread. Once I've got my list together, I'll see you there. Thanks again