How will bta attach to LR

Curtswearing

Craig and I and some other mods had certain opinions on this thread long before the topic changed a bit. However, we really didn't know one way nor the other and we still don't.

However, we don't want people to be afraid to post. If they come back later and decide to just leave, we can't tell them nicely that a change has to be made immediately or the coral will die. Then it's a learning experience for people who are guests or are signed on and are trying to learn.

When I say be nice, I don't mean let an animal suffer. I mean make sure the person doesn't feel stupid and continues to post so that you can help that person and make sure their coral doesn't die.

As some of you have noticed, what is allowed and what isn't allowed is a little stricter here than most other boards. Most people are fine with that strictness because it affords them a comfort level if they do something stupid in their tank (and lets face reality....we all have done something stupid!!!) They know they won't get attacked here on the Sanctuary. (get it???)

I see no reason to get into a legalese argument over what is and what isn't slamming. The reasoning behind our rules is pretty much laid out in Craig's posts and many other people's posts. The same goals can be accomplished in two different ways and we do it the nice way.

I want you to think about this for a moment. What if he did completely trust the LFS owner and now has a serious problem? What if he came back on and saw some harsh comments? Isn't it completely possible that he decided not to post again for fear of being attacked? What if he now is afraid of internet boards and went back to the LFS for advice. Once there, the fish store owner convinces him that we don't know what we are talking about so stop worrying. What's going to happen to that coral????

Just my 2 cents.

wooddood

the wood dude
they have'nt responded since page 2 and now were at page 5 and still no responce.i say close the thread.their evidently not coming back and i cant say that i blame them.

sledgehead

someone else responded-----you chose to remove it.

nothing foul about it........

you morons can't accept criticism.....when you see it----you cut it out------won't let others see what different people (read that different opinion) think.

huh....that guy saddam and that guy---oh i forget his name---didn't they treat their subjects that way?

CENSORSHIP!!!! and closing the thread is another form of it, too!!!

Maxx

wow...
Kids...this is sposed to fun remember????
For those that don't know...I'm a Mod here too....I'm one of the more irreverent ones w/ the oddball sense of humor, so keep that in mind as I take a whack here...
Lets recap shall we???
Dingo's post has been edited, by Dingo...good.
Mods have expressed displeasure at what is percieved (whether it was intended or not) as flaming /harsh language towards someone new who has problems....(not touching the potential troll thing...yet..)..this is because we have seen many other places turn in to a free for all of name calling and teasing/harrassment that is only entertaining to a few as opposed to a website that is entertaining and a source of knowledge for many. I can play the witty comeback game as well as any and better than most..I've got many years as a bartender in a slammin busy bar filled w/ drunk frat boys and rowdy bikers and I could handle all who wanted a shot at the title...I reign it in cause it can cause more trouble than it solves here.
I know people have heard the term "Time and Place".
Frankly all of you Nano kids seem like you'd be a blast to hang out w/ over drinks, (to me anyway) and no doubt we could have some fun conversations...that wouldnt be acceptable here, because this isnt the place for it. Maybe someday we'll get the chance.
Nano kids, (sorry... easy to refer to y'all that way..hope its not taken badly...not meant as an insult.) have gone on record as supporting Dingo's bluntness and as being cranky someone would buy something they nothing about...great, glad friends back each other up...keep in mind, nobody has made any noise about the advice Dingo gave being wrong, just wrongly put. Telling someone you think they are wrong isnt a problem...telling 'em they're a stupid ^$#^$@ idiot can be..and is here. Please remember guys, (everyone) this isnt an "Us vs Them" sorta thing at all...It might be a different environment than you guys (nano-kids) are used to though. Just a brief example....say I pee in my sink at home...no big deal its my house, I can do what I want, right? Well, then you invite me to your place....suddenly whats cool in my house isnt so cool in yours. And I'm not understanding why you're so mad at me, cause I'm used to doing that at my place. Its an exaggeration, but a decent enough example.
We geniunely would like you guys, (Nano-kids) to stay. I think you guys have a lot of input that is useful, but you're gonna have to accept our way of doing things...sorry bout it, but thats life.
I just recently got hired as a police officer, (so no more bar tending for me.), and one of the Lts. said something that impressed me very much...
"Being courteous does not make you less effective."
I think that can be applied here as well.
Nick

Maxx

Originally posted by sledgehead

you morons can't accept criticism.....when you see it----you cut it out------won't let others see what different people (read that different opinion) think.

huh....that guy saddam and that guy---oh i forget his name---didn't they treat their subjects that way?

All right recess is over.....Do you really think that name calling makes you more right?
Lets get somethin straight right now...
Criticism isnt being cut out....attitudes are being adjusted. Big difference. Different opinions are fine, I and other Mods actually welcome differing opinions....thats called discussion. Comparing this to a fascist dictatorship is childish and flat out wrong. This is a privately owned BBS which is open to the public...that means children come here too, so profanity and insults arent tolerated. If you dont like that then leave. you're not being forced to sit here and read this or suffer through our comments.
I'm not clowning around here, you dont like it here fine, beat feet to somewhere else, where they dig your attitude. I've bounced big unhappy bikers out a bar before, I can make you go away too. I dont want to, but one more post like that and you're gone.
Nick

jimeluiz

Thank you Maxx.:thumbup:

I for one am happy and proud to be involved with a board that places a premium on being courtious to others. It is not difficult to make very challenging and direct remarks while being respectful and supportive at the same time.

Count me as one who supports building community without having to dis' others. That may not be everyone's cup of tea - but at RS it is the culture. To each our own. If that is not what you are looking for, there are plenty of other places to hang.

A board cannot be all things to all people.

As a person who has lived through many experiences on the blunt end of the slam I for one appreciate being able to express my thoughts and questions here knowing I will be thought of as worthy of support and encouragement first, and chastizement last - if ever. What a relief. I need to be able to ask naive or ignorant questions if I am to wrap my head around this infinately expansive hobby. Here I feel I can do this.

Our biggest failing to DC is that they have stopped asking for help. Perhaps they have re-registered and will be back with other questions. Hope so.

Thank you, Craig, for moving this to Off-Topic.

And to our visitor Sledgehammer, er, head - looks like you may have wandered into alien territory.

Keep up the good work mods! Protect and defend.

Last edited:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Maxx
say I pee in my sink at home...no big deal its my house, I can do what I want, right?

Ummm - the pipes don't all lead to the same place!! And, Nick? Does Rocio know about this?? LOL ;)

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Originally posted by sledgehead

Thank you Mr.Going-To-Create-A-Login-To-Get-My-(edited) guy.

edited by Travis. Let's not sink to this person's level.

ReefLady

Staff member
OK, time to step in and state my opinion.

First of all, Dingo's post was edited before I saw it, but I did see a couple of quotes that lead me to believe a couple things he said were out of line.

However, I also saw a couple statements from our members criticising him that crossed the line. This is not acceptable either. So I'll remind you all that personal attacks are not permitted, whether you feel they're justified or not.

Now, moving forward...

I believe there is a place for firmness here just as there is a place for more nurturing types. However, if you are of the more firm persuasion, know that you're treading a fine line, choose your words carefully and remember that in the end the purpose is to help.

We want this to be a friendly environment, yes, but not at the cost of individual personalities. And to be clear, I'm speaking to the larger philosophical debate going on here.

So, if you're inclined to advise someone in a more firm manner, please be yourself but use some diplomacy and common courtesy.

And if you disagree with the way another member has posted, you are expected to respond with diplomacy as well. And please feel free to click on the "report this post to a moderator" link that appears in every post... that's what it's there for.

I'm going to leave this discussion open as long as it remains civil, because I think it is actually healthy to air these things out and get a good idea of the boundaries.

Finally, a big thanks to the moderatos for doing an excellent job here in every respect.

Craig Manoukian

This is done in the sprit of airing things out as Travis eluded to. I'm the guy that deleted your post sledgehead!

In my opinion, it was a useless attacking diatribe that ended with a goodbye. It was your first post, at least under that user name, so if you are going to leave, which is what I interpreted your goodbye to mean, that doesn't entitle you to a drive by shooting. You criticized this board so I figured you were moving somewhere else. If that's your choice that is fine.

Your follow-up post is very telling. The language used is very unacceptable.

"you morons can't accept criticism.....when you see it----you cut it out------won't let others see what different people (read that different opinion) think.

huh....that guy saddam and that guy---oh i forget his name---didn't they treat their subjects that way?"

Who poisoned you with nerve gas? You are not a subject you are a guest and I refer you to the Member Agreement you agreed to when you registered. Not only is your comment an insult, it doesn't make sense. It is better for people to think you a fool than to type, hit enter, and remove all doubt.

If you would like to address me personally, click the PM button and we'll conduct the remainder of this discussion behind closed doors. I make this post in an effort to let everyone know what the score is and that I'm not ducking anything.

Gina

RS STAFF
FWIW, I saw the guy/gal who originally posted the question on here yesterday afternoon around 5-5:30. He was at this particular one "other stuff". I thought maybe he would post again on his original thread but, didn't.