How will bta attach to LR

dcbckup

I just purchased a 6 frag bta with about a 4 inch hard foot how will this attach itself to live rock, I have in buried in sand right now should I take it out of the sand and let it wander. Someone please help. I do not want this to die. Also the only time it really opens up is when I treat it with calcium. is this normal.

SaltyQueen

First of all,

:crowd: :welcomera :crowd:

Now, define "just purchased"- if the anemone has only been in your tank a few hours, it would be normal for it not to open up. What are your water params? What kind of lighting do you have? Have you tried feeding it yet?

Cougra

What do you mean, you treat it with Calcium? What sizez of tank do you have? What do you have for lighting? how long has your tank been set up? what are the water parameters of your tank?

Was the foot damaged in any way when you got the anemone?

The more information you can provide for us, the easier it will be for people to answer your question.

As for the anemone, try not to handle it very much, it should be able to find a place in the tank that it likes provided the tank is properly set up for it. The more you try to move it around or peel it's foot off the greater the chance of damaging the animal.

Pro_builder

I have a few questions real quick:
the only time it really opens up is when I treat it with calcium.
1: What do mean you treat it with calcium?

6 frag bta with about a 4 inch hard foot
2: I have never seen one with a hard foot on it. Are you sure that it isn't already attached to a rock or shell?

I wouldn't burry it in the sand I would just set it on the sand and let it roam to were it wants to go. Once it finds the spot that it thinks is suitable then it will stay there. Mine moved around for about a week before it settled down and stayed. They will also have a tendancy to move if you aquascape something differently in the tank. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that it doesn't get to close to something else, and have a war with it.

Craig Manoukian

Welcome dcbkup!

BTAs love to attach to firm surfaces, aka Live Rock. They will move to where they want to be in the tank, and if possible they will keep to the LR%.

Answers to the great questions above will be very helpful. What exactly do you mean by "6 frag bta", I've never heard that term before.:confused:

Thanks and we'll get you all the help you need!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

jimeluiz

Answers to the great questions above will be very helpful. What exactly do you mean by "6 frag bta", I've never heard that term before.

Ditto. Are we all talking about the same thing? More details or a picture would assist us in being explicitly helpful.

And :welcomera to RS!

Crakeur

keep an eye on it once it starts to move.

anemones have a wonderful knack for finding powerhead intakes, overflow boxes and anything else that can kill it.

anemone meltdown is hell on the tank and the stink, oh momma, the stink.

dcbckup

I mean a 6 head bta. I have a 10 gallon I believe it is properly setup. What I mean by just purchased I got it monday and today is wednesday. If I don't bury it in the sand it just falls over and lays there is that normal? When I put calcium from Kent marine in the tank the bta really opens up and shows its mouth. I have fed it phyto-plankton, I don't know if it is eating it either. I am going to just lay it down in the sand. Also I have a bristle worm I cannot catch.

ScottT1980

I have a 10 gallon I believe it is properly setup.

Perhaps we should start at the very beginning. :D

What kind of lights do you have on your tank, how long has it been set up, and what are you water parameters. Also, a "6 head BTA" is still not really clear as I have never heard any sort of terminology with anemones. Are you reffering to the number of tentacles on the anemone or is it even an anemone. Could it just be a cluster of button polyps? The best way to distinguish between the two is the "touch test." If it is bothered or touched and it completly retracts, then it is an anemone. If it is touched and it just sort of closes, then it is a button polyp.

You might very well have an anemone, I am just not familiar with your terminology.

If we are talking about an anemone, then it will pretty much attach to anything in your tank. Another reason why I think we might be talking about a coral instead.

Just some thoughts.

Take er easy
Scott T.

ScottT1980

I guess I chould clarify, it is probably best to touch with something other than your hands (i.e. a turkey baster, a piece of plastic, or something similar)...

Take er easy
Scott t.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
I am guessing you purchased a branching frog spawn. Is this it?
482421branchingfrogspawn.jpg

Crakeur

either a frog, torch or hammer. has to be.

what'd you pay for said coral?

who sold it to you as a bta?

addict

Ditto on the guess that you've got either a frogspawn or a torch coral. I usually attach those to the rock with aquastik putty. It's a 2-part epoxy that you knead together and then apply.
I find it easiest to attach LPS by kneading up a small ball of putty, pushing it into the coral skeleton first, then place the coral in a crevice or hole in the rock (so the putty has something 'good' to bond to). The stuff takes a few minutes to 'set', so I usually wait for a few minutes after kneading it up before I start this process... or you'll end up holding it in place for quite a while (about 7-10 minutes usually).
Did the LFS advertise it as a '6-head BTA'? Or was this self-identification?
I've been to some doozy LFS's in my time, but none that would sell a 6-Head BTA... :D

Last edited:

dcbckup

thanks luckyink that is exactly what it is. my tank has been set up for 10 days now. so i guess it is frogspawn. I did a 25% water change and waited about 4 hours and tested my PH 7.8, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0-5ppm, and ammonia 0ppm. the lfs said it was bubble tip with 6 frags aka heads they told me. So this frogspawn is this hardy or what? They sold it to me for $40. and now that I can't take it back I do not want to waste anymore money.

ScottT1980

I think that it really is way too early to introduce any corals, fish, etc... into your tank as it is only 10 days old. It typically takes a month or more for a tank to cycle (unless you used completely cured live rock...your levels might be low now because of the water change). Even then, most people don't reccomend the hardy corals until about 3 months after it has first been set up.

I could be wrong but the likliehood of that coral surviving is really jeopardized. Also, what kind of lights do you have on your tank?

I am no nano guy but a 10 gallon tank is going to present quite a few challenges as it is a very small system and problems can be amplified with such a little amount of water volume. Not to say it can't be done, but it is more difficult than say a 55 gallon in my opinion.

I don't really know where to start as far as suggestions are concerned. I guess the first thing to say is that you did come to the right place as the members here are very knowledgable and have a number of years experience under their belt. Your best bet is to read as much as you can possibly read and plan what you think might work best for your tank. Pending you can find a home for the frogspawn, I would wait out your tanks cycle for a few more weeks and then start with a cleanup crew. Then from there you might want to consider corals.

So to answer your question, the frogspawn is pretty hardy but that is all relative. No coral (or most anything) is safe in an uncycled tank.

If you have questions, then by all means ask as we are all here to offer up our advice.

Take er easy
Scott T.