How to grow mangrove Q&A

framerguy

do they have to go in a sand bed? cuz i don't want a sand bed
Not in an actual sandbed in the tank, but then need to be at least potted (someone correct that if I have read it wrong). You could simply grow them in a pot or bucket in their own little sandbed inside the aquarium.

johnmaloney

i float them, so I know when to trim the roots a little. At 3 feet or so, you won't want them to get any bigger, (they can reach up to 25 feet tall no problem - so stunting is something you will eventually have to do). You should also trim the leaves as previously mentioned. You should start pruning the roots as soon as they overgrow their designated area. A little bit at a time....

johnmaloney

they don't need a sandbed at all. They do grow quicker that way, but there are cons to it, and it is not necessary at all.

framerguy

they don't need a sandbed at all. They do grow quicker that way, but there are cons to it, and it is not necessary at all.
Excellent! Thanks John. One question about the ones growing in the sand... when the stalk starts growing do I need to move it out of the sand and float it so it is above the waterline?

johnmaloney

yes you should. although i still recommend that you grow them floating style like coral dynamics has done. that is still the best way to grow them.

framerguy

It has been a while since I updated this thread. I will show you my growth progress and what I have done with them. This photo is from a couple of days ago...
DSC_2377.jpg

Varga pointed out that new root growth should be white and my roots are red. He suggested I plant them in the sand and stated that the leaves don't mind being underwater. I have several plants so I am going to do an experiment. I left half of them floating, and planted the rest in the sand bed...

DSC_2391.jpg

DSC_2390.jpg

The lighting I am using are older 10K PC bulbs and curly fluorescent bulbs. I mist the leaves everyday. I haven't clipped any leaves as of yet.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm tagging along for future reference. Mine are all floating and just decided to start growing in the last 3 weeks like CRAZY!!

25' eh? I'll have to make room in the attic for that :D

They don't need substrate.they are Fresh water plants that can TOLERATE!!!!! salt yet because of their comparatively slow growth are simply out competed for light , thats why you don't see them up and down the banks of every freshwater stream, river, and lake that doesn't drop below freezing.

The new growth that forms a "tip" that can should be clipped after at least two-three sets of leaves have emerged and opened (not including the two new leaves that are still "fused" together to form that "tip").

This will cause a split (2 out of 3 times, depending on your accuracy).

Mangrove propagules fall from the adult tree, and land in the water, and float around with just the tip sticking out of the water,(1/4"-1"(max))..and float until they touch something, sand, rock ,mud ,some are just capture by adult plants prop roots, and will start growing, sometimes for years before they can get a hold fast.

Someone early in the thread made a reference to "prop roots" incorrectly,
The roots common out of the bottom of the plant are simply roots, the ariel prop roots won't start emerging until it is at least a couple of years old and has in fact a nice thick "Bark" not green ,..but a gray/brown bark just like the trees around you in North America proper.

This is a wild prop floating past my dock (back yard)..this is the most submerged it gets,(note the Doctor fish in the background)

The second photo is of a prop floatting next to my dog's but,..and a wild one (to the right) witch I "split" three years ago with (Julian's clipping method I described above)-Dave

By the way Julian Sprung puplished the best + simple mangrove care book back in the 90's it's a small paper back affair, yet well worth tracking down!

Attachments

• IMG_6623.JPG
    IMG_6623.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 116
  • SANY0174.JPG
    SANY0174.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 115

Varga

I'm not 100% the leaves are OK under water, mine were under for months and they did great. I am pretty sure the roots must be buried. I did the same experiment and the ones I didn't bury at first are still not doing as good as the ones that where buried. also any pic I find in nature the roots are buried. good luck :)
mangroves_17_4.jpg

That is an extreem high tide, and the leaves are exposed at low tide, pictures are snapshots of reality and only tell a slit second of reality.
Only an idiot would set up a echosystem based on snapshots!

Varga

I suggest you watch your language and attitude around here
I was not talking to you, I was talking to Greg. And lets see your groves so we know you're not all talk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok gang. Remember you're in someone else's "thread" here and we do need to be mindful and courteous to each other. We're like a great big family here so let's Be HAPPY :)

If we have "issues" let's take them into Private or other venues.

It's a GREAT place to be and Greg is doing an AMAZING job here!

Greg we're all waiting on that VIDEO buddy!!! :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Varga can you repost that Mangrove pic? I was trying to show it to my wife and it's "Gone/MIA".

framerguy

Gentlemen, I am sure this has been proven a dozen times, but I am going to attempt to do it one more time. I have 34 propagules. As of now I have 17 planted and 17 floating. Of the ones floating, I have chosen three to trim their roots. I have not clipped any leaves yet but will do so soon. I will try to keep a running document of their progression for all to see and draw their own conclusions.

This is my thread and I appreciate everyone who visits and contributes. Please refrain from using derogatory name calling, even if it was to a hypothetical person.