How to grow mangrove Q&A

framerguy

Here is an update, 11/25/08. Last week I planted 1/2 of the propagules. I left two boats floating. On one boat I trimmed the roots, and on half of those I also pruned the leaves. The other boat I left untouched. Here are photos after week one.

planted trees right side...
plantedmangroves11-25.jpg

planted trees left side...
plantedmangrovesleftside11-25.jpg

boat with cut roots...
cutroots11-25.jpg

boat with uncut roots...
uncutrootsintank11-25.jpg

The new root growth on the floating boats is not showing up in the photos. There is a lot of new growth on all of the roots.

framerguy

What's the "Group" that has the most growth?

It has only been a week so I think it is to early to say just yet. It "seems" at the moment that the ones that are planted are doing the best. Time will tell.

Varga

I was told groves are not all that effective unless you have a ton of them. then I found this. what you guys think?

What are the benefits of growing mangroves

Besides the exotic feeling, they are a great filter for the water, absorb the organic material, phosphates, nitrates etc. from the water.

In a salt water tank, with the volume of 55 gal (about 200 liters), 8 mangroves with small roots were added to the habitat. Obviously the nitrates in the duration of the day were "eaten" almost completely.

nitr.jpg

(William Horst from Eastern PA Reef Club's Newsletter articles )
Mangroves in aquarium

A. Thiel has conducted a special research. Three aquariums with the volume of about 22 gal (about 80 liters) and three aquariums with mangroves. Each aquarium had aproximately 20lb ( somewhere around 10 kg) "live rocks". In each one of those aquariums sat an ordinary yellow tang. Every one of them had the same protein skimmer.

Obviously magroves work very effectively in removing nitrates-phosphates, which are the main cause of the algae problems

nitr1.jpg

phos.jpg

framerguy

Very interesting! There is another source saying not to submerge the leaves though. I wonder if I can set up an area where the roots can be planted and the leaves out of water...I'll have to see what I can do. Maybe some sort of hang on acrylic box to elevate the plant.

Varga

how bout this one: two cheap plastic containers.

untitled.jpg

but I would still give the submerged leaf idea a try. I think it was Frankie who told me that was OK and I tried it and the groves loved it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's obvious yall LOVE tantelizing me over these Mangroves. I can't decide whether to plant or not. If I plant I'll have to fabricate a "Suspended Pot" of sorts ( I think Frank may have covered this to). My main problem is I don't have room to test multiple methods due to my fuge only being 17" x 17" (cube) but it's also 24" deep and my Mangroves are only now about 6" tall.

I am LOVING this thread and appreciate all the input yall are providing. I think it's obvious they can be VERY beneficial to the "System" as a whole.

Stacef

I am getting 5-10 mangroves this weekend, and am sure I have lots of questions to follow!!

This thread is a wonderful source of information, thanks everyone for the great advice within it!

framerguy

Varga, I had thought of the box to elevate them. I think I am going to go a step further and build a shallow tank out of acrylic if I have enough. I think I do.

Al, It depends if you want looks or function. I want both but I want to learn about them too. I am really thinking of the shallow tank so I can set up a shoreline habitat for my own amusement with crabs, mudskippers, etc.

Welcome to the Urban Mangrove Forestry Service Stace! UMFS

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
UMFS I like it :)

Greg I want function right now and when I build the NEW system I'll go for BOTH :)

framerguy

UMFS I like it :)

Greg I want function right now and when I build the NEW system I'll go for BOTH :)
Yep, I just made that up. I thought DUMP for a while...Department for Urban Mangrove Propagation, but UMFS seemed better:grind:

I vote for floating then my friend. It is so much easier to maintain them while floating.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Greg. I'll keep floating them until they are tall enough to be planted AND stick out of the water.

yungreefer2410

sometime within the next six months i'm completly redoing my 29g drilling it for a display refuge 20g with manderin eventually and 10g sump with a diy sskimmer i am building

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got to take some new pics. All of mine are showing significant growth. I think the daily FW "Spritz" is doing more good than anything else. Maybe it was just TIME for them to start growing and it's a coincidence but the week after I started they they all took off.

:)