How to get cheap shipping

MrBob

First time posting after reading TONS of archived forums. So lets see if I post this right.

An answer that I haven't been able to find is: how can people ship over night "people selling frags" under $30? I have talked to UPS and USPS on dfferen't occasions and the prices are always much higher. Also, I have tried FedEx online and same thing. Are these people that are saying over night shipping really using 2 day?

chipmunkofdoom2

Welcome!

I can tell you (from experience) that if the coral you are trying to ship is hardy, like mushrooms, zoas, rics, or other softies, you can ship it priority mail if you are on the same side of the country as the receiver. It will usually get there in 2 days.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Bob - also... the published rates you see & pay... UPS & Fedex - are a LOT higher than many shippers pay up to 70%. I recently (when Airborne went belly up) changed to UPS & got quotes for our company from Fedex and UPS, the overnight rates are all based on usage. You have to sign a confidentiality agreement, but I can tell you, they pay a TON less that you see in the published rates.

Hope this helps :)

johnmaloney

big discount commercial rates are hard to get though...most people selling in this hobby will charge a flat rate that will be a loss on shipping in hopes to make it up elsewhere.

FragFrenzy

RS Sponsor
First time posting after reading TONS of archived forums. So lets see if I post this right.

An answer that I haven't been able to find is: how can people ship over night "people selling frags" under $30? I have talked to UPS and USPS on dfferen't occasions and the prices are always much higher. Also, I have tried FedEx online and same thing. Are these people that are saying over night shipping really using 2 day?

i am assuming you mean people like me ;) i do the cheap shipping thing by:
a) covering some of the shipping costs of every order
and b) by using USPS express overnight mail.
i can use fedex or ups at the buyers request, but i have to charge a little more for those couriers.
even the express mail costs over $30 sometimes, but i cover the difference ;)