How often your tank floods:

How often your tank floods:

• Total voters

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So far (knocks on wood) my tank hasn't flooded. With THAT said I'll prolly go home after work and it IS now flooded :)

Stacef

Once from my error, it was on my FW tank, I unhooked the air hoses, and didn't plug them back into the pump... they syphoned out 50 gallons at 2 am...

Reefstick

Lots a full tank once. Not proud of it, and was not happy.

The acros died right away... the rest of the tank was salvaged.

Ever see a 7" Tang swim in 3 inches of water? It was horrible.

lcstorc

Have I told you something and then blocked it out of my mind?
I swear I don't remember a flood but I do have a way of blocking out bad memories.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Sorry, I was thinking about the electrical mishap! That didn't involve a flood, did it? LOL!

lcstorc

No flood there. Just electricity and broken glass and melted plastic. Hmm maybe some other stuff but no flood. Bad day regardless.

chrome91

never a flood, ive come close twice though. i forgot to turn my skimmer on full flow after the break in period, and i caught it late at night half a inch from overflowing.

second time was late at night i figured why not fill my sump to the top, the power hasnt gone out in over 10 years. jinxed myself, next morning the fluval FX5 on my 90g freshwater shorted and killed the power in my house. luckily i was tired the night before and kept my sump at 1/3 full. with the power out, my overflow caught enough water to fill my sump 2" from the top. if i filled it the night before, i would have had a flood

mine flooded when the APC battery back up wasnt pluged in DOH. NICE 30 gallon water changee on my floor and carpet comes up easily too so not too bad. haha now thats its plugged in and backing up the Return pump and heater i should be good for ever

sandyc

Mine just flooded this past Friday. When I first read this thread I thought...how could your tank flood? Then I found out.:smack:

I had just topped off the tanks because I was leaving for an overnight trip. All was well. By the time I put my coat on and wheeled my overnight bag to the back door my tank was flooding. It looked like Buckingham fountain. Water was pouring over the top of the tank just as a fountain would.

Now I should mention that my Hippo tang went missing the night before. Continue story......By the time I let go of my overnight bag the water was hitting the power strip and shorting out the strip. Smoke was rising. Oh my gosh! I got the power off and then went to pull the siphon tube out of the skimmer box to stop the flow of water to the sump. Well, the good news is, I found the tang. When I lifted the tube the tang was attached to the end of it. As soon as the siphon broke he jumped off (luckily into the tank) and dove for the rocks.

What a mess. I was able to get everything cleaned up and restarted. Believe it or not, I still made my train.

The tang still has a mark on his side where he was attached to the tube but it isn't infected. He is eating normally and acting ok. It has been 5 days since the "flood" so I am thinking he will make it.

Lesson to be learned......When a fish goes missing, check the skimmer box. Sooner or later he will get tired and get sucked onto the siphon tube.

SeaMunky

Well thats great news you found him Sandy!!..
AS for me, well twice last week, I overflowed the skimmer..well not me..my little guy likes to run and crank it..and I usally know to check it before bed, but after all the New truck hunting late nights, I forgot, and woke up twice to a tank missing 3" of water, and a soaked floor..GRRRRR>..When will I learn...hahaha

sandyc

I was so glad to have found him and that he is ok. GRRRRRR doesn't begin to describe my feelings at the time.