How Often Do You Clean Your Pumps

JOHNY

I've noticed that my flow has slowed down and that water volume is high in main tank when i top off at water mark in rear chambers.
Does this mean i have to get down and durty and start major clean up.
Tank has been running since May 21st 2009??

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I clean mine about monthly, both the circulation pumps & the skimmer pump.

Only takes a few minutes & is very easy to do :)

AG1

I've noticed that my flow has slowed down and that water volume is high in main tank when i top off at water mark in rear chambers.
Does this mean i have to get down and durty and start major clean up.
Tank has been running since May 21st 2009??

if there is any clogged media it will raise the level in the main tank when you add top off water.IMO the problem doesn't occur from the pumps , it is about the clogged media.

websurfer

Sorry to ask but have you checked the fine fliter pad..

This could slow down flow big time..

I have not cleaned any of my pumps yet..
But when i do a water change i pull them up and down and drain some water from the back chamber

Nowellsy SNR

I cleaned mine for the first time yesterday tanks been running since the beginning off May and there was'nt that much gunk in there.

Was easier to do than i thought

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
wow - I clean mine monthly & they always slimy & have a bit of trash in them... they are working fine when I start & after... maybe I don't need to be cleaning so often, just easy to do... :) and I always thought of it as preventive maintenance...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I don't clean mine often, but when I have they weren't dirty or slimy. Different story for the outlets - mine can develop coralline and gunk on them and right at the outer edge. Same with my Hydor Flo.

mbdave

You can clean your pumps???? Wow!!

Yes I know you clean pumps and as a matter of fact cleaned my return and skimmer pump today. I see here and on other threads that some use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water? Why not pure? I use it pure all the time with no adverse effects and a faster cleaning. JMHO

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I use pure vinegar too - buy it by the gallon. Vinegar is only 5-18% acetic acid so it's already diluted enough IMO. Or I use DD EzeClean - it seems to work better & faster, but too expensive.