How not to clean your RSM ..

NYCreefer

Not sure what I was thinking, but I decided I would try to clean the exterior of my RSM with rubbing alcohol - BIG MISTAKE! The picture doesn't really do it justice, but it seems like the alcohol somehow reacted with the plastic and left these white streaks all over. Feel like such an idiot :smack:

I've tried everything to get rid of them, but it seems like they are "burned" in to the plastic. Thinking about grabbing some fine grit sandpaper after work - at this point I don't think I can do any more harm.

IMG00086-20100224-1853.jpg

Shamus

I wonder if you could try something like a mineral oil (or maybe even vegetable oil) to hide the streaks. Not sure if it will work, but might be worth a try.

NYCreefer

Steve that's a good thought - will try that tonight before going on the offensive with sandpaper. I wonder if all else fails if RSM would sell me a replacement hood w/o all the components.

Shamus

You could probably contact Pinky if all else fails and see if they would be able to sell you a replacement hood. But you might as well try a few things first...

tvreaves

My husband has found that car wax has been the "miracle" cure for similar issues he has encountered in the construction biz. I sure hope you find something that works quickly so you can move past this...

Bobi1956

Automotive product called spray and shine which is a detailer for already washed cars - don't spray your hood as could get into water but spray a clean terry cloth type towel and then use it to wipe outside of hood down and this should work.

magnum

It looks like you pulled the oils out of the plastic with the alcohol. I have done this many times. If you put some vegetable oil on a rag and wipe down the hood let it sit for a min or two and wipe off with a clean rag it should be fine. I should add, I never did this on a RS hood but I have done it on other hoods along with other plastic items. The first time was on a company car dash board scared the heck out of me. I hope this helps.

NYCreefer

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Think I'll give the mineral/vegetable oil and carwax ideas a shot tonight - those seem pretty unintrusive. I would hate to have to replace the entire hood seeing as it's in perfect mechanical shape but ultimately if I've exhausted all other options then that is what I'll do - wouldn't want the beauty of the RSM spoiled by a disfigured hood.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an easy fix :fingerx:

Cheers

w00t

I've used rubbing alcohol on my hood a couple of times and it had no effect at all, so that's pretty weird. That sucks though, you could polish it but you'd have to do the whole hood to match the increase in shine.

Edison

You can have my old hood for free if you want. Do you ever drive to CT from NYC? I have a new set of bulbs too. I could ship but would probably be a tad pricey.

Last edited:

NYCreefer

SUCCESS!!! :bigbounce A quick rubdown with some extra virgin olive oil and it's as good as new. Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions!

Edison - You are too kind offering your hood. Maybe after my next blunder i'll take you up on your offer =) :ashamed:

w00t - I used 91% strength rubbing alcohol, not sure if that had something to do with it.

IMG00088-20100225-2244.jpg

Cheers!:clink: