how many fish do you keep?

cabolick

I did have 5 this morning, but got a call this afternoon from the kids saying we had lost one of the Green Chromis:angel2: . He didn't look right the other day but never thought twice about watching him more closely. May not try for that Goby for a couple of weeks now

redsea reefer

I did have 5 this morning, but got a call this afternoon from the kids saying we had lost one of the Green Chromis:angel2: . He didn't look right the other day but never thought twice about watching him more closely. May not try for that Goby for a couple of weeks now

Sorry to hear that a chromi passed...:( he/she is in a bigger aquarium now:craig:

cabolick

Thanks Eddie, the kids have gotten over it already. There were many questions about why he died, just told them he went to the big tank in the sky.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear about losing the Chromis. :) Was there any aggression going on between the Chromis?

mbdave

2 Possum Wrasse, 2 Occ. Clowns, 1 Purple Tang (Tang police leave it I know) 2 Bangaii Cardinals, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Harlequin Shrimp and I think that's it. I don't believe that's to many but I have no plan of getting anymore :).

Last edited:

Edison

None at the moment, we are still researching but we'll are leaning towards a pair of clowns, one orchid dotty back and a Wrass. There's something about those blue-spot jawfish too...

Nowellsy SNR

Sorry to hear that

Hi,

I’m relativity new but would like to be part of your RSM group. I have lots I need to learn about keeping marines.

I have

1 very small yellow tang
1 small blue tang
(These 2 guys will be re homed when they get bigger)
2 clowns
1 Banggai Cardinal
1 blennie

Do inverts count?
3 red legged hermits
3 fire shrimp
1 sand shifting starfish

Steve

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Steve -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to the club! Lots of great RSM help/advice in here, as well as Reef Sanctuary. Lots of folks in here from the UK too. Just saw your tank in Meet & Greet - very nice! You should start a tank thread! :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do inverts count?
3 red legged hermits
3 fire shrimp
1 sand shifting starfish

na... inverts don't count as related to bio-load :) cuc and coral are bio-neutral or bio-good

only the fish add to our tanks bio-loads... why everyone warns... add fish slowly & don't have more fish than your tank can handle, or it's possible to have a crash if the Liverock & Good bacteria can't keep up...

For everyone new just getting thier 1st swt tank... it's why this thread can be somewhat misleading... "the number of fish".

As an example, Terry's very mature tank with lots of build up Good Bacteria, can handle more fish (with his additional gallons in his sump to help with bio-load) than someone new with the same tank that might only be a few months old. The latter can't get away with the same number of fish in a new tank or a crash is likely.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've also got an awesome skimmer to help, and as Glenn said, the additional 10 gallons of water in my sump.

Cheers for the info.

Sounds like I'm very much on the limit with 6 fish, I know I shouldn't have the tangs but as they are small I don't think they are an immediate problem, and when they get bigger I do plan on re homing them. I don't have a sump so I am at a disadvantage their, I am doing 20% water changes every other week and I do make sure the filter and skimmer are kept clean.

Are their any other tricks you can suggest / recommend for keeping on top of RSM water quality. Is their like a magic something you can squat in that breaks down the bad stuff, and what are the best buffers to add.

Sorry for all the questions, but its difficult having a tank and limiting yourself to just a couple of fish. I have provided them with a reasonable amount of swimming space; i.e. the tanks not rammed with live rock, I'm hoping this helps.

Cheers guys

Steve

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
tricks you can suggest / recommend for keeping on top of RSM water quality

Steve,

If you can get it, Chemi-pure Elite a great product (StevieT ships it to UK) or many in UK use an equivalent Rowaphos Phosphate Remover

Purigen is another very good product.

Just change them out about every two or three months.

and highly recommend... 10-15% weekly water changes... I do 5 gals every week and have had great sucess doing this...

I also use a 2-part solution ESV - read Randy Holmes-Farley's article in this thread

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...menting-calcium-alkalinity-your-reef-rsm.html

Oakhouse

If you can get it, Chemi-pure Elite a great product (StevieT ships it to UK) or many in UK use an equivalent Rowaphos Phosphate Remover

Have just sent an email to Boyd to see if there are any UK stockists LOL.. Worth noting the Rowaphos is a Phosphate remover and does not contain any carbon, like the Chemi-Pure Elite. the CPE looks like a replacement for both the carbon and rowaphos.

I'm currently using Rowaphos and Carbon (still on the original bags, maybe time to change them) and seem to be getting good clean water. The last phosphate tests done by the LFS showed undetectable phosphate in my water.

Cheers,

I've had a quick read of the Chemi-pure Elite thread, sounds good. I assume its a carbon replacement. Does StevieT have an ebay shop?

Thanks for the advice.

Steve