how lighting effects corals

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I thought we could do a little write up on "How lighting effects corals" just to give folks a general idea on why corals need light and how different lighting effects your corals. So lets have at it!

So when one looks at corals and their colors we have to look at it in two separate sections, the first is not so much the coral but the zooxanthellae contained within them. The zoox are basically a form of algae called dinoflagellates (and yes the same kind as the nasty ones)

zooxanthellae_SANTOS.jpg

As we all know they perform a service to the coral by providing it with oxygen, glucose, glycerol and amino acids and also help the coral with getting rid of waste. They do this by creating the above mentioned as a result of their Photosynthesis process. (But this is a topic for another article. Since we are talking about colors lets go with that)
Within the zoox they contain a series of pigments; the main ones are chlorophyll which to our eyes look green. The next most dominant is carotenoid peridinin which to our eyes looks yellow. Now these pigments are basically chemical molecules that possess the ability to absorb visible light photons which are being supplied by your lighting systems. They then in turn provide the coral with the above materials.
So now we know what makes the zoox have color, basically a bunch of yellow pigments and a bunch of green pigments, well when you mix yellow and green what do you get?? Yep brown, and that’s why most corals are brown. No, this can vary based on the amount of zoox in the coral and in the amount of each type of pigment within them. So what does that mean?? Well it means that we can effect some changes. So if your tank has a lot of nutrients, yep the zoox algae will have a field day and its most likely they will be brown. But lighting can also play a role. Most of the chlorophyll pigments have a strong ability to gather light in the blue and violet range. The other more dominant pigment, carotenoid peridinin mostly absorbs blue light waves but does absorb violet and a tiny bit of green. So by choosing a particular bulb that puts out a particular light wave, you can make one or more of these pigments dominate and thus be more viable to us.
Ok so that is the basic concept of zoox coloration and how we can affect it, so let’s take a peek at the coral itself as we all like to have colorful corals.
So as we talked about above, the Zoox require light photons in order to live and in return supply the coral with the nutrients and so on it needs to live, so this is a pretty dramatic relationship. Now when we talk about coral pigmentation we have to look at it like they are farmers (as they really are). Pretty much everything the coral does color/pigment wise is to protect, enhance or accommodate the zoox within the coral tissue, so let’s look at some of this.

CORAL-PIGMENTS1.jpg

One of the main functions is protection. Zoox can be killed by UV radiation that the sun/our bulbs produce, so the coral has certain pigments that provide protection against this. Most of these are clear to our eye but mist all pigments contained within the coral does this to a point. But hey, clear is a boring color so lets look at some of the fun ones.
The vast majority of pigments within coral is pocilloporins and is categorized as either Brightly Colored Low Fluorescent Pocilloporins or as Highly Fluorescent Pocilloporins. These are the ones we see when we look at a coral and say wow look at the color!!
First we will look at Low Fluorescent Pocilloporins pigments. These pigments take light that is lower in the light spectrum, from UV to violets, (which protects the zoox) or within the zone of 400 to 620 nm absorb it within them and then convert that color (or fluoresce) to a color that the zoox can use in its process. We cannot see the colors that they absorb but we can see what they emit.
With Highly Fluorescent Pocilloporin pigments they also have the ability to absorb a particular color and then transmit a more useable color back to the zoox. They cover a different range of color waves coming in and produce much more fluoresce, so a lot of bang for your buck. What is also really neat about these is that they can work in what is called "chain linking". What this means is that one pigment takes a color, converts it to another, which is then taken by another pigment, and is then converted into something the zoox can use. They can basically take most all colors, and then continuously covert it through chaining a final product of light the zoox can use.

So what does all this mean??

Well when you choose your bulbs you are going to dictate what the color of them is going to be and what the growth is going to be like (sps). So for growth zoox have chlorophyll pigment they have strong light absorbing capabilities within the violet/blue area of the light spectrum and can also absorb a significant amount of red light. They also have carotenoid peridinin pigment which absorbs blue light along with some violet and some green. Satisfy this and the coral will grow.
For color we have more ranges:
>Pocilloporin primarily absorbs green/yellow (550-600 nm) light along with some upper UV-A . it emits a orange/red
>highly fluorescent pocilloporins primarily absorbs light from 310 to 380 nm (UV-B and UV-A) and then fluoresces this as light from 400 to 470 nm (violet/blue).
>highly fluorescent pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 380 to 470 nm (UV-A, violet and blue) and fluoresces light from 475 to 520 nm (blue and green).
>third type of highly fluorescent pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 430 to 490 nm (violet and blue) and fluoresces light from 490 to 540 nm (green/yellow).
>Yellow fluorescing pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 440 to 500 nm (blue) and fluoresces light from 520 to 620 nm (green, yellow and orange).
>Red/Orange Fluorescing pocilloporin that primarily absorbs light from 500 to 540 nm (green) and fluoresces light with wavelengths that are primarily orange to red.

Ok, so now we know what color we put in and what colors will give what results, so let’s translate that to bulbs.
Here is a 20000K radium wave plot 400 watt.

4120k.gif

Looking at that, then translating into what we know. We could assume to get alot of of dark green, blues, some yellows and some deep reds. But for growth it doesn't have a lot of red, green or violet, so not a lot.

Now lets look at the 10000K ushio 400 watt
41ushio10k.gif

Looking at this we see good violet which translates to violet and blues, and strong 500 to 600 so good oranges, reds, greens etc...
Here are some more charts, you do the math, :D
here are a bunch of 400 watters
41all400.gif

and some 250 watt de's
41250de.gif

Please feel free to discuss

Mojo

Last edited by a moderator:

Uslanja

Hi mojoreef! Thanks for the write up, it helped us to understand a little bit more about lighting. We have been wanting some more variety of colour in our tank and we're starting to think that we need to try changing up our bulb combination a wee bit at the next replacement schedule!! A timely article... Thanks!

Blue Space

Wow mojo! Thanks for sharing your in-depth knowledge regarding zoox and light spectrums. I sure am glad we have folks like you as a members on RS! :D Do you have any data on LEDs and their spectrums? From what I've read LEDs are a pretty narrow spectrum but not sure why some seem to work well and others... well, you know better than I. Great post.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent write up! Thanks for taking the time to draft this and post it for everyone to read and hopefully retain.

Uslanja that's exactly why I like "Combination" fixtures with multiple types of lighting in them. You get some intense lighting from say MH but then you can supplement with other bulbs for color etc with T5's. I'd be curious to see some similar charts & studies like this done with LED units.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Uslanja that's exactly why I like "Combination" fixtures with multiple types of lighting in them. You get some intense lighting from say MH but then you can supplement with other bulbs for color etc with T5's. I'd be curious to see some similar charts & studies like this done with LED units.

Al most MH's and Tube Bulbs are what we call full spectrum so they have spikes in multiple wave colors, so you dont really need to have multiple bulbs to get the effect, you just kind of line up the waves you want for your corals and then of course what you like for an overall look.

Do you have any data on LEDs and their spectrums?

But of course!! Ok here are the charts of some of the most popular, so when you look at them just look where the spike is, the height and so on is not the same as the MH's I put above, but it gives you the idea of the color range they put out.

44.jpg

36.jpg

25.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chops29

O.K. so if understanding this correctly. I for example have a Purple Digi and a Orange Digi then I want to look for a bulb with spikes in....

>Pocilloporin primarily absorbs green/yellow (550-600 nm) light along with some upper UV-A . it emits a orange/red
>highly fluorescent pocilloporins primarily absorbs light from 310 to 380 nm (UV-B and UV-A) and then fluoresces this as light from 400 to 470 nm (violet/blue).
>Red/Orange Fluorescing pocilloporin that primarily absorbs light from 500 to 540 nm (green) and fluoresces light with wavelengths that are primarily orange to red.

in order to bring out the best colors of the two?

mojoreef

Just a reefer
You got the idea, but remember you dont want to play with any light that puts out something below 400mn, then your into UV and that will have a negative effect on the coral.

Mike

lcstorc

Awesome article.
Thanks
In fact I like it so much I made it a stickey so everyone can find it.

oceanreefs

Hello Sir, I have really enjoyed reading your article. I am in the process of converting my10, 80 W T-5 to Cree Royal, blues and cool white LEDs 3 W each in the entire hood I should have approximately 84 LEDs with an output of almost 250 W of light how is that going to infect the zoox? on my SPS corals I'm hoping if I go slow and raise the light a little bit each day so I don't burn them that the zoox should adapt and I should get some great results I'm hoping. what you think about this. Phil:cool:

Coraljunkie

Awesome read. Thank u. Why are some lamp makers incorporating UV into lighting you think?

.......thanks for listening.
I'm curious about the uv also. I have an AI Hydra and it has the uv section and my corals don't grow quickly. My intensity are all at around 85 except green, red, and white which are at 30 each.

Pat24601

I'm sitting here wondering how I missed this article the entire time I've been here. It's amazing.

anarchy

Great read thank you
This is why I have a 250w halide over all 3 of my tanks. One has t5 supplements and the other 2 will probably get the same

ANARCHY

DaveK

I'm curious about the uv also. I have an AI Hydra and it has the uv section and my corals don't grow quickly. My intensity are all at around 85 except green, red, and white which are at 30 each.

The UV in fixtures like a Hydra is just into the UV area and is there mostly to make the corals glow. It is not the short wave UV that is used in a UV filtration unit or like you get from HQI lighting,

With the Hydra, if you want to, you could set the UV off or way down, but it's not really needed.

Corals can grow slow for a number of reasons. Lighting is only one factor. Although in your case, you seem to be running the lighting with rather low output on the "green, red, and white" which might be a big factor. I run the Hydras on my tank with all the colors at about 85%. You might want to slowly increase the green, red, and white.

The other big factor is water quality, so make sure that is excellent also.