How do u measure phosphate/nitrate?

Acanman

Hey guys. How do you measure your nitrates and phosphates? Ive been using the API and trying to match the color chart. I notice members who quote actual numbers so im assuming they are using a digital instrument. I would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.maybe its time to upgrade?

steved13

PREMIUM
For Nitrate I use the LaMotte test kit, it has the easiest color compare system for me and for phosphate I use the Hanna checker (It gives a numeric reading).

Acanman

For Nitrate I use the LaMotte test kit, it has the easiest color compare system for me and for phosphate I use the Hanna checker (It gives a numeric reading).

Wow the lamotte nitrate kit is pricey! I guess in scheme of things its the price of one nice piece of coral.

nwfd98

Elos test kits hands down the best. I use low range po4 kit

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Acanman

Elos test kits hands down the best. I use low range po4 kit

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Im enjoying the hanna digital phosphate checker. Lamotte nitrate kit coming next week. I may get an elos for another parameter to see how it is.

nicola1on1

Red sea test kits but I find the colour comparison wheel a bit difficult to decide on the actual reading - for example my nitrate level is somewhere between 1 and 2
I have since acquired a Hannah phosphate digital reader which I much prefer and is a lot less hassle. Wish they had one for nitrate.

Acanman

Agreed. Hanna digital way to go. I should be getting the lamotte nitrate kit in mail tommorrow. I will give a honest review

steved13

PREMIUM
The LaMotte is pricey, but the refill kits are a little closer to other test kits, so the big hit is only the first time.

Acanman

BTW i ended up fragging up my beloved red planet colony. So far the frags are ok. I redid some of the rockscape so less dead spots and easier to circulate h2o. I got phosphates down to 0.05. Hoping the CAD reactor i installed in left chamber will get it to zero with phosband media.

Last edited:

Acanman

K so I got my Lamotte Nitrate test kit today. Gotta say Im a little dissapointed. For $80 was expecting a bit more. Im still having to squint and guess what shade of color im looking at. And the lowest reading you can get is 1.1 if Im not mistaken. I think i will be sending back and getting a Salifert kit orvRed Sea kit for half the price and can detect as low as 0.25 ppm.

Acanman

Hey guys. For those of you that use Red Sea tester for nitrates, I just got mine. Little confused. The first go round, the tester water came up clear after 9 minutes. The instructions are a little vague but I gathered that a clear test meant my nitrates are greater than 4ppm and I had to dilute 1 ml of tank water with 15 ml RO water and use that as the test water and start over.

So after the drops and 9 min wait I got the light blue color. Which again I kinda gathered my nitrates were hovering around 4ppm according to color chart.

Does all this sound right to you guys or did i goof up?

Acanman

Little update on the phosphates. Hanna checker tells me Im around 0.15. I recently installed a CAD nano reactor with phosban so im hoping to see lower numbers.