HMA’s 115 gal. Reef Tank

hma

Looking great as always. That blue sponge looks great. Do you do anything special to care for it?

Hi Blake …. yes, to supply all my corals and filter-feeders whit all necessary I do something special to care for it. As probably most readers of this Thread know I am using the Balling method since many years to feeding my corals. Apart from natrium, calcium and magesium i add concentrates (selfmade) of various heavy metals, vitamins and amino acids to each Balling solution. Also, I feed a mix of zoo- as well as phytoplankton twice peer week.

hma

Beautiful as always.
What is the fish in the last pic? I don't remember seeing it before.

Hi Lynn and thanks ... :hallo:

it is an Paracirrhites forsteri or Blackside hawkfish. He is now slowly mature and gets its final color.

ScubaDrew

Heinz, I book marked your article for reference should I see any of these symptoms in my corals - thank you for continuing to share this valuable information!

Drew

lcstorc

Great information.
Would you mind if I or would you please start a separate thread under brown jelley so more people notice it?

hma

Hi buddies it is once again time for an update. Much has not changed since my last update, but nevertheless, I had my "cleaning crew" in all aquariums something to refresh and so yesterday I visited my LFS. In the basket were ultimately 100 different snails (60 Cerithium cerithium and 40 Nerita polita), 5 starfish (Archaster angulatus), 6 seaurchins (Tripneustes sp.) and finnaly one new fish (Chaetodon kleinii for the 115 gal). The Chaetodon kleinii swims now in the quarantine aquarium, but only for one week since he was at the LFS 6 weeks in quarantine. Pictures of the Chaetodon kleinii I show you during the coming week.

And now as usual some new pictures .... enjoy!

fts_07_09.JPG

My once again "pregnant" Pajama cardinal :yup:

Sphaeramia%20nematoptera%20-%20Pajama%20cardinalfish.jpg

Blastomussa%20merleti.jpg

My Protopalythoa, it was originally just a single polyp, but now there are several colonies distributed in my various aquariums.

Protopalythoa%20sp.JPG

and finnaly one of my fresh-water tanks. I breed since month in this tank very successful Tanichthys albonubes (White Cloud Mountain minnow).

sweet-water_tank_II_2.JPG

Last edited:

hma

As already last week announced, yesterday C. kleinii has moved to the 115 gal reef tank. Here I show You some pictures and a new video.

VIDEO

In the first hours the C. kleinii had a really tough time, the couple Centropyge flavicauda has constantly attacked, but this behavior has in the meantime advanced to the point that they accept themselves.

Chaetodon%20kleinii_1.jpg

Chaetodon%20kleinii_2.jpg

Chaetodon%20kleinii_3.jpg

hma

i was under the impression that all butterfly fish will pick at coral. Heinz, will you clarify this for me?

absolutely right, over and over again it is reported that butterfly fish eat coral polyps. but the same is reported from dwarf-angels.

Now, I'm maintain quite rather long some pairs dwarf-angels in my 115 gal reef tank, Though I could observe they peck from time to time in corals, but I was not able to see any lasting damage, This behaviour is valid equally for some kind of butterfly's fish eg. C. kleinii and Chelmon rostratus, C. muellerie and C. Marginalis, they peck from time to time in corals (most LPS) but they don't harm them in any case.

@Woodstock
Thank's Doni-Marie .... I try all the time my very best :flower:

WatchinFish

thanks. ya i recently baught a Venustus Pygmy Angel that nipps at my brain coral. he doesnt touch anything else. my brain coral doesnt swell up like he use too but other then that he looks fine. pluss my clowns have housed it and seem to take good care of it. you think this pecking will eventually kill my brain?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks great Heinz!
I must admit, that planted aquarium is wonderful. :)
I have often wondered about adding butterfly's to a reef that is over populated with corals. I think it also takes a particular reef keeper to pull it off correctly with proper feedings of the fish and water parameter maintenance. Two areas you do very well and prove it.