high ammonia

issues

Hi i have a 125 saltwater tank with 4 damsels and a snowflake eel in it. It been up and running for about 2 1/2 months i have been battling ammonia for the last 3 weeks ....its was at 0 but now is sky high i did a 50% water change yesterday and 25% today my ammonia is just as it was before i started with 50% water change. I tested my water after i mixed it and before i put the new water in...it was good ...i was wondering if i could do like a 75% water change in two days will that help my problem

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Be sure to start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we love pics :dance:

Run some carbon & keep up the water changes, Ammonia deadly - something has died - find & remove it if you can - assuming the tank cycled in the 1st place & is not just now cycling - you can do as frequent water changes as needed to reduce it.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Hello and welcome. Before you start panicing too much, i'd get a different test kit and test again. If you have done a 50 and 25% water change and amonia is still showing, i'd suspect the test. If your amonia were that high, your eel specifically would die. Damsels could swim in a bowl of amonia for a half hour before even noticing. Also, how much live rock is in the tank? How much filtration/circulation. do you have a sump/wet dry or some type of canistar filtration. What are your other parameters.

With symptoms as you describe, additional water changes cannot hurt, but i suspect your test is fouled. Always double check/get a 2nd opinion. Amonia cannot rise that quickly unless there is some major die off happening in the tank, either fish or Live rock.

steved13

PREMIUM
A second measurement is never a bad idea, but since your new water is testing at 0.00 I would think your biological fiter is either broken or non-existant.

Good questions above, what kind of system is it, how did you cycle the tank if you did?