Hi

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Hi Jerry, welcome to RS! Do you have a tank running, or are you still in the planning stages?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Jerry421a

I have been without a tank for several years due to a nomadic life. I am in the final planning stages and purchasing equipment for my new tank. It will be a 70 ish gallon DIY custom and break almost all of the conventional wisdom rules of reef keeping. Eg. no skimmer, fiberglass bottom glass side tank, no sump or refugium, and and ATS.

I broke most of the conventional wisdom rules with my first tank and did quite well. I will share once it is up and running. Just not willing to listen to the nay sayers while I am in the middle of a build. The goal is also to stock with only captive bread livestock and take nothing from wild reefs.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sounds interesting Jerry... I would love to see pictures of your unconventional methods of success. Do you have and pictures of your previous tank to share?

Here's my currant tank:
image.jpg
My tank before this one was over 20 years ago & was FOWLR (fish only w/LR)
IMO corals are beautiful and interesting but FOWLR was easier to maintain.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nothing wrong with a live rock and sand bed to filter everything. I know a few people who still run that setup. The key is not over stocking or feeding. It is very possible though.
Anyone gives you a hard time about it just let me know via pm.
Looking forward to this build.
Be sure to provide a link to the thread here so we all know when you start it.
It is impossible for us to follow every thread on this site due to the overwhelming amount of users.
Remember, we are reefsanctuary, a place that is safe to post and not be harassed.

Jerry421a

Full Tank Shot.jpg Full Tank Shot.jpg Full Tank Shot.jpg

This was part way through the life of our 55. It was mostly softies and algae. There was no sump, just a couple of powerbeads, a HOB filter with some media. We added a HOB skimmer because we wanted a couple more fish but I do not think we really needed it.

One of the big rules I broke was using silica play sand. I had the usual diatom bloom when cycling but never had a problem after that. Understanding what size and type of silica a diatom needs to use in order to thrive helped me bust this piece of conventional wisdom.

Don't get me wrong. Many of the standby rules of reef keeping are valid and must be followed for success. I just do independent research and work through the rule logically before following it or not. I will also never criticize anyone for following the conventional rules. They do work and there are always tradeoffs with any choice. I just chose a different path. Lets just say I am a fan of Stephen J. Dubner.

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Great point and link, Diana!

If conventional wisdom were never challenged, then there would never be innovation (or variety)!

I think applying research and critical thinking vs following a recipe are behaviors we all employ with our reefs, and that's what makes this hobby interesting! Otherwise it would be akin to baking... add a tablespoon of liverock, a pinch of refugium, and a healthy portion of protein skimmer... mix, put in tank, and it will come out just like the picture! Ha right!