Hi all

robsplc

Hey all, my names Rob, from Southern Oklahoma, I came here in search of information. So far I have ZERO experience with saltwater aquatics but have been wanting to start a reef tank for several years now. Currently I am keeping a 55 gallon tank stocked with various tropicals, along with a small zoo of various other animals in my house, 2 cats, 2 budgies, 1 green conure, 1 quaker, and one grumpy amazon parrot. I will be reading through the forum posts gathering info as I also try to gather the supplies I need.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

robsplc

Ty all, from all the research I've been doing on the web, the only thing I've found that is consistant is that everybody has different oppinions on how things should be in reef keeping. I'm hoping that a nice friendly forum like this will have some good constructive discussion about the pros and cons of different methods instead of just "you have to do this or else" type of thing that is mostly driven by sales people. I am really looking forward to trying some of the DIY ideas, I have a pretty good repor with my tool box and a good knowledge of electricity and wiring so that kind of stuff really appeals to me.

Robzilla

Let me know what direction you want to go with your 55 and I will let you know what has worked for me :)

robsplc

Sounds good, although I'm not too sure what size I will start with because my 55 is dedicated to freshwater, but it will most likely be in that size range because I would have to drive 100+ miles to pickup anything larger, or even get mats to build one. I like the idea behind the Berlin style reef setups but I'm not sure if the 55 range has enough volume to be stable enough for that.

robsplc

To be honest, my first thought was to use my existing tanks and equipment to experament, kind of a micro test set, for designing and diy'ing a sump and protein skimmer. Who knows, if it works out well that might turn into a Mini saltwater setup itself.