Hi all...frustrated newbie had a ? about set up salt white stuff won't dissipate

beo5500

Hi all, happy new year btw! my name is Mike, i am trying to salt my tank during set up all appears to be running right (skimmer is off right now will address the bubbles issue later!) and there's this white "stuff" settling at the bottom I stir it up it settles again I am pretty sure it's not going to go away!

So I was thinking I'll vacuum sucky it into a tub let that settle and put the water back into the tank without it? I'm thinking it's other "stuff" in the salt calcium etc?

at 1.023 right now so close but not fully salted up any help anyone may have is greatly appreciated =)

Oh yeah I haven't added the aragonite yet is there any tips on that like slurry it in a bucket with water and put it down with my vacuum pump or something, I can only imagine a dust fest coming on even though I rinsed it good for 20 minutes!

Thanks again anyone...

Mike

Shamus

Hey Mike - Welcome to RS and good luck with the tank!

When I first set mine up, I remember a bit of white particulate on the bottom that never went away as well. I just put the substrate on top and never had issues. As for the substrate, rinse it out as best you can and you'll STILL get the dust storm (it settles pretty quick).

Good luck!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's really common to see that when doing the initial salt add to a new tank with only water. I believe there's a certain amount of insoluble precipitate that forms with any salt mix. We usually don't see that when mixing SW in a container, but in a new bare-bottom tank it's very apparent. In my opinion, don't worry about it - it may never dissolve, and it's never been a problem that I'm aware of. Once you get substrate and rock in you'll never notice it again. I know some who have enjoyed watching it swirl around, as their sole source of amusement, till they got their sand & rock in the tank. :)

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

beo5500

Thank you so much and thanks for the advice and welcome!

As far as that person you said enjoyed watching it swirl around as their sole source of enjoyment...that wasn't me!

Ok, I may have been watching it swirl around all day as well as periodically disturbing it at the bottom for the next swirl but I wasn't enjoying it!!

Thanks again

Mike

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Good advise above... while the tank cycles... it should not be a big deal & once the cycle finishes, you will do big over 30% water changes to reduce nitrates, so all should be fine - all the best ! As the tank cycles & the circulation pimps run & you rinse the a finer filter it will clear, even if you need to stir it up a bit - give it a few days. What kind of RSM did you get?

beo5500

K so I got bored staring at the empty tank so I went out this morning and snagged some rock from someone off the manhattanreefs forum, then grabbed a new hydrometer because the rsm one was bouncing all over the place. thinking i am going to need a refractometer thingy. I was going to wait before any creatures until i make sure the water was good but while picking up the hydrometer at the store this little voice in my head said I needed 2 snails, 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 zebra legged crabs lol.

pic attached if it works...

01082011.jpg

Mike

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Mike - Tank looks great love the rock & rockscape - thanks for sharing !!!

Be sure to finish your cycle before adding livestock or they will most likely die.

sidebar - if you want this to be your tank thread & want me to change the thread, just let me know & what you want it named.

beo5500

I just created a tank thread I think??? posted a pic on it oh and thanks for the white filter tip folks it cleared up what I thought was gonna be a perma cloud!