Hey!

TylerHaworth

Wife is just gonna have to get over it... This hobby isn't cheap.

One pound per gallon minimum.

I'm confident in making the assertion that Reefcleaners.org is THE BEST source for a cleanup crew... You simply will not find a better price, selection, or customer service.

Edit: Mr. Maloney usually packs a LOT of extras in their orders, so for a freshly cycled 135 I would start out with about a 75 gallon quick crew and then beef it up in the future if needed.

StrikeT85

Okay thanks for the advice. I'll probably start with the 75 gallon then. I do have a hermit crab in there already. Do you think he'd eat the snails? If so I'd be willing to set him free into the river... the wife thinks he's ugly anyhow!

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
StrikeT85 said:
Okay thanks for the advice. I'll probably start with the 75 gallon then. I do have a hermit crab in there already. Do you think he'd eat the snails? If so I'd be willing to set him free into the river... the wife thinks he's ugly anyhow!

Hermits *may* kill larger snails to take their shells if theirs is too tight. So its a craps shoot.

....Secret Super Hero....

StrikeT85

Also, another question. Could I theoretically walk to the ocean (5 minutes), take a hammer and bucket with me, chip off 50 lbs of rock and bring it home, bleach it for an hour, rinse it incredibly good and add that to the tank? Or is there something special about rock you pay for. The rock I got from my LFS was Coral Rock, $2.99 lb. If I go by the, 1 lb per gallon, I'll need about 50-60 lbs.. Just a question.

I did do that for my 29g freshwater. My friends dog dug up some coquina in their back yard so I drilled some holes in it and then bleached it and rinsed it and it worked out just fine. The fish love it.

sk8rdn

First, you wouldnt want to bleachive rock as that defeats the purpose.
Second, what you are talking about doing is often very illegal in a lot of places.
Third, the rock around shore tends to accumulate a lot of man made crap like oil run off from roads, pesticides, sewage, that kind of thing.
So I wouldn't.
But in theory, yes you could. :)

StrikeT85

Haha okay thanks for that. I was told by the maintenance man here at my apt complex that 2 of the LFS that he knows of sells ocean water. He said he has 4 tanks in his house and he just goes at the peak of high tide because that's when the freshest water is there and fills up a bunch of buckets for his water changes. I believe him there but I don't know if I believe him about the LFS selling it. Any insight?

sk8rdn

There are stores that do. But most use a boat and have it drawn from deeper waters further from shore (for less contaminants similar to rock). But the average Joe without a boat would do the same thing as your maintaince man. But again, shoreline isn't the "best" place to draw from...

StrikeT85

So without purchasing an Ro/Di unit, would you say that using tap water, dechlorinating it, adding salt, and then to tank would be better than using beach water?

dmatt88

I've used it in a pinch (tap water) but its n algae bloom waiting to happen.

.............its calibrate ur hydrometer month. no not really but Sheez its important.

sk8rdn

StrikeT85 said:
I'm not worried about being able to hook it up... it just costs a lot of money lol

This hobby does... On everything. Consider this carefully.

And Matt is right, you will get HA and probably cayno.

Fort Lauderdale here...
Don't do it. If you lived in a less populate/popular area I might think about it but there is gonna be too much garbage in that water.

StrikeT85

So... Update... got 2 Oscillaris Clownfish. The wife really wants a Nemo tank but now I'm leaning towards a large fish type tank, in which case I would have to get rid of the clownfish or else they would be expensive food. Would my LFS take them back as credit? If not I could turn my 29g freshwater tank into a nemo tank. Anyhow here is the list I'm somewhat leaning towards, depending on info I receive here:

Rectangle Trigger
Snowflake Eel
Harlequin Tusk
Guineafowl Puffer (dogface)
Miniatas grouper

Please let me know any insight into these types of fish and the best way/order to introduce them into my tank.

StrikeT85

Also... any advice as to talk my wife into allowing the Eel? They freak her out but I hear they are very personable, eat out of your hand type.

dmatt88

Why do u want an eel? They swim into pvc lines n overflow boxes. They knock everything over. But cool in somebody else's tank.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez